Medlars (and Loquats) - The Edible Fruits from Deciduous European (and Japanese) Trees

DonRocks

I thought I knew every French culinary term there was in contemporary usage; not the case.

Last night, I had Magret de Canard with Tapenade d'Olive and Confiture de Nèfle (yes, together - you spread a little of each on top of the duck breast).

"What the hell is Nèfle?" I asked.

Nobody knew the translation, so I looked it up today, and it translated to Medlar: a deciduous, European tree bearing edible fruit, or the fruit thereof. In its native (non-confiture) state, it's about the size of a plum, with hard, bright-yellow skin, and a rather large seed inside.

Has anyone ever heard of this? The taxonomic name is Mespilus germanica - I can't tell you how the fruit itself tastes, as it looked almost like raisins when it was presented as a confiture.

However, now that I've researched it, *and* heard their definition of what the fruit looks like (picked from their back yard), I'm thinking the fruit is something different, namely Loquat (Eriobotrya japonica), or in French, Nèfle du Japon

There are pictures in both links - the Medlar looks orangish-brown; the Loquat looks smooth yellow, which is what was described to me.

medlar trees are still offered by several nurseries, including some major ones like Burpee, so there must be a reasonable demand for them. I guess they're maybe just consumed at home by the growers? 

Thistle--is your loquat outside? i love fresh loquats and never see them in stores, and had assumed that i'd have to grown them indoors here, which i don't have the space for. I'm hoping you'll tell me i was wrong!