Roux

NolaCaine

On 9/2/2010 at 3:48 PM, xdcx said:

Take your time with the roux. It will easily take 40-50 mins of constant stirring. You'll want to use something wooden and flat if you can, to scrape the bottom of the pot so it all cooks the same.

On 9/2/2010 at 6:58 PM, Ilaine said:

Just don't scorch the roux! If you do, throw it out and start over, it can't be saved. Edited to add: don't go off and leave roux unattended, it will go from not done to scorched within seconds.

I guess by now you understand that the roux is the most ingredient in a gumbo. You can make it with andouille, chicken, shrimp, duck, crab, whatever, but the roux is the star of the show.

Chef Folse's dissertation on roux -- personally I make dark brown Cajun roux for gumbo - aim high:

http://www.jfolse.com/fr_rouxs.htm

On 2/14/2019 at 10:47 AM, DaveO said:

Earl's makes an excellent spicy turkey sausage gumbo.  I often order it.  Two years ago they posted a "part of a recipe" focusing on the roux.  I made it twice.  I think its all in the roux. 

Regarding roux: If you mess it up the first time, start again. It's just flour and oil. Go slow, stir a lot and watch it. It turns from "clearly not done" to "copper penny" in an instant. In the next instant, it's burnt. All this happens in what, about 2 or 3 minutes? It takes for-ev-er, though, to get to that point. 

• Like 1

I’ll chime in.  I have watched my mother make roux hundreds of times, and I have made it myself.  I cannot overstate the importance of being vigilant. You really can’t stop stirring for more than a few seconds, so don’t go to the bathroom, don’t check your phone, and don’t engage in other prep. 

However,  have your trinity chopped and ready to go before you even start your roux.  As soon as the roux is at the right stage, dump in the trinity and stir like mad to cool down the roux.  That’s how mama did it. Oh,  she also made her roux with bacon fat sometimes.  Like all other southern mamas, she had a special jar in the refrigerator for collecting bacon fat. 

• Like 4