La Pecora Bianca - Casual Italian in NoMad and Midtown East

I'm admittedly a creature of habit.  Each time I'm in New York, I tend to hit a few places from my list of "regulars" - though I try to squeeze in one or two new ones when I'm there.  So it's with that context that I say that I've been to La Pecora Bianca in NoMad the last 4 times I've been to the city.

LPB isn't the best italian restaurant in New York.  And it isn't the best restaurant in NoMad (which, in my opinion, is the NoMad Restaurant inside the NoMad Hotel).  But it fills a gap left by the closing of Craftbar (which wasn't technically in NoMad but close enough).  It is a restaurant that serves good food that isn't super high priced where we can meet friends for dinner without a reservation 4 weeks in advance.  It's always the place chosen on the dreaded text message chain the day before when someone asks "where should we meet for dinner."

From the appetizers, I recommend Whipped Ricotta with truffle honey and country toast ($14) and the Meatballs ($14).  Roasted Cauliflower with raisins, pine nuts and mascarpone ($15) is also good, but I'm not a big cauliflower person in general.  From the pasta menu, Gramigna with house made sausage, broccolini and pepper flakes ($24) is a favorite, as is the Tagliatelle with bolognese ($24).  And the Tiramisu for two ($15) is worth the caloric splurge.

Fair warning, they are strict about the wine pours, which can change the glass vs. bottle mathematics.

• Thanks 1