Sadly, Tom Seaver has dementia.   Tom Terrific, the Greatest  Met ever, star pitcher of the '69 World Champion Mets, who surprised all of baseball with one of the most amazing upsets of all time, beating the Powerful Orioles in the '69 World Series,   Seaver is usually described as one of the all time great pitchers in baseball.  

Yeah...so I was a Yankees fan growing up...but as the '69 Mets taught us--"Ya gotta believe"

6 hours ago, DaveO said:

Sadly, Tom Seaver has dementia.   Tom Terrific, the Greatest  Met ever, star pitcher of the '69 World Champion Mets, who surprised all of baseball with one of the most amazing upsets of all time, beating the Powerful Orioles in the '69 World Series,   Seaver is usually described as one of the all time great pitchers in baseball.  

Yeah...so I was a Yankees fan growing up...but as the '69 Mets taught us--"Ya gotta believe"

4 pitchers in major league history have had 7 straight 200+ strikeout seasons.

Max Scherzer, Roger Clemens, and Walter Johnson had 7 (Scherzer's streak is still active).

Tom Seaver had 9.

He stands alone.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, DonRocks said:

Whoa.

Christy Mathewson!!  Aha!! I plead ignorance of baseball “prehistoric” times

LOL— thanks.

Well I suppose the 1960’s is also “prehistoric” but the early Mets were so bad—historically horrifically bad (they made last season’s Orioles look good or relatively good) that when Seaver joined them and they made their run in late 69 to win their division, win in the NL and then upset the mighty Orioles it was simply— Anazing.  Seaver was the star.  They had a great staff;   Nolan Ryan was the weak link the very young fireballer who was terribly wild.

Anyway Seaver was one of those athletes that inspired idolatry 

1 hour ago, DaveO said:

Anyway Seaver was one of those athletes that inspired idolatry 

Tom Seaver deserves to be on anyone's first-ballot HOF selection.

I'm still hurting from the 1969 World Series, but look at the Mets' pitching staff! And their otherworldly defense that series.

Swaboda made this catch off of Brooks Robinson. This was a 1980 U.S. Olympics Men's Hockey Team victory over the Soviets - the Orioles were better at every single position, but the stars fell in the right place for the Mets - good for them ... it wasn't "luck" that they made all those tremendous plays; it was clutch fielding when New York needed it. My heart's still broken, but my hat's still off.