Hot Pot Legend

In what is certainly a trend, there is another entrant into the hot pot game in Rockville--Hot Pot Legend is the first US outpost of a Chinese chain.  Each 6 person table comes with 3 burners.  The main center one accommodates a large pot holding two broths and two side burners for smaller individual broths.  The $25 dinner price gives you all you can eat.  You can pick up to 4 broths and you order your protein from the server.  Once you order, the veggies, tofu, fish balls, and sauce are self serve buffet style.  There is also a selection of "appetizers" on Saturday, the apps consisted of spring rolls, some sort of fried dough, scallion pancakes, soy chicken, "spicy popcorn chicken" (amazing!), boiled peanuts, edamame (studded with star anise), spicy tree ears, and a pressed marinated tofu. 

Once you are situated and order your protein, they bring it on a small narrow cart which is yours for the evening.  There was about a dozen choices from fatty brisket, eye round, marinated beef, two types of tripe, chicken, pork, a variety of other nasty bits (liver, kidney, etc).  Seafood included fish filet (probably tilapia), scallops, shrimp (choice of shelled and un-shelled), clams, mussels, and I think crawfish (I may have left some of them choices out).

Everything was very high quality and fresh.  The setup for veg and tofu was great.  All proteins were provided in large quantity on individual plates.  The staff was very helpful.  There were about 6 broths, most were available vegetarian (and they even put a sign on a stick to denote if there is a vegetarian broth at the table!!!).  We got Szechuan (medium)(they said they can make it spicier if you want after ordering), tomato, and I think mushroom for the vegetarian.  The Szechuan broth was flavorful, but I would have liked it spicier (not their fault, my dining companions fault for being wimpy).

There is a really good, fresh, and broad selection of veg including several types of greens, about a dozen types of balls, half a dozen noodles, sausages, even spam.

Once you are done eating, they will offer you shaved ice in 4 flavors, either a large to share for the table, or individual cups.  When you leave, there are cookies. 

All in all a great experience.  The staff is well trained and attentive, which capped a great experience.

• Like 4

There have been several changes in local management but lately things ahve been consistent.  I love the pickled cabbage broth and the spicy is quite spicy.  The choice off the buffest is a little wider than that off the conveyor belt at urban, with quality being higher as things are refrigerated until you put them on your plate.  I go for lunch mostly and pay 17.99. Lots of cold plates but some of the appetizers you mention like the popcorn chicken are not a part.  The service is friendly.  I love the spot and it is my favorite of all the hot pots in the Rockville area and possibly in DMV entirely.

• Like 4

On 7/30/2019 at 9:12 AM, pras said:

All in all a great experience.  The staff is well trained and attentive, which capped a great experience.

Thaks for reminding me that it has been far too long wince I ate at Hot Pot Legend. I mean it must be over 4 weeks!!! Kay and I went for dinner and enjoyed the herbal and the pickled cabbage broth.  And you are right about the popcorn chicken.  The slimy seaweed and the pickled cabbage were superb. But the biggest treat on the starter's bar were the thick slices of smoked chicken.  

The Hot Pot was outstanding as usual, this time we only overate slightly so no one suffered on the drive home.  The service could not have been any nicer.  $61 including beer.