Baked by Yael (seriously good bakery despite cakepops)

I didn't realize this place had no topic on DR so adding it. I posted some of this in the Bagels topic but expanding the post the cover more of their offerings:

Baked by Yael across the from zoo has been such a refreshing treat during the pandemic. As everything shut down and we didn't want to go inside any place, Yael Krigman, owner of Baked by Yael, has done a great job of setting up curbside pickup and deliveries for what I now think are my favorite bagels in the city. In the past few years, she has perfected her bagels so they are just the right size (think fit in your hand) with nice chew outside, and soft inside with good size hole. They are not overly puffy like a lot of places like Bethesda Bagels. Also, they are often warm and fresh still when you pick them up any time in the morning. Varieties are more limited - plain, everything, sesame, salt, and onion, but really great bagels. You can also get a few different cream cheeses, Ivy city lox or whitefish salad (the whitefish salad is really good), and sometimes salmon salad. Also makes my favorite challah (you can get a weekly subscription). So while my kids like the cake pops which I find a bit silly and kitschy, this bakery has great savory goodies too.

Other treats we like are the cookie bars - really good cross between blondies and chocolate chip cookies, and good black and white cookies too. The raspberry bar is also tasty. They also have a bunch of gluten free options, and the whole store is nut-free. They are also kosher-certified.

Starting this weekend, they've introduced Duffins - think doughnut/muffin. The idea is a muffin top and donut bottom - it is really like a more cake-like donut. We tried 4 types today - all the same base but with different coatings - chocolate frosting, glazed, maple glazed, and cinnamon sugar. The chocolate is very good - same frosting as the good B&W cookies, cinnamon sugar was also good. The glazed were also good but not as well-liked. I think the maple needs to amp up the maple flavor more. They also make plain. Try for yourself and share.

Lastly, Yael and her staff are super kind. The Zoo being closed for so long hurt the business, but they adapted well.  

• Like 4

Definitely my favorite bagels in Alexandria (at the Del Ray farmers market), although Bagel Uprising are also good (except for everything - at BU those are weirdly sweet. Everything shouldn’t be taken that literally).