Guided Tour Of Super H

grover

A lot of the food in Super H supermarket in Fairfax is strange (I almost said foreign) to most American shoppers.  My wonderful +1 (Grover here on DR.com) would like to know if up to 5 people would like a guided tour of the foods at Super H and a bit of help in shopping for Korean food and vegetables.

Thunk yuoo, bork bork bork! :huh:

I think that weekend will be a good idea for most people, and I prefer Saturday morning around 9:00 AM because it will be crowded later.

As you noticed, 6 people with shopping carts will create a quite big circle so I try to avoid the crowded hour.

However, we can adjust the tour hour for more flexiblity as needed.

Since I am a Korean, I might have limited knowledge about Chinese or other Asian ingredients but I will do my best. :lol:

Edited by grover

Count me in! I'm there every weekend and generally spend $20 just experimenting. Love the kim chi section and would show up anytime for a guided tour.

A weeknight might be better, as unless it is early Sunday morning the place is insanely crowded on the weekends.

Count me in! I'm there every weekend and generally spend $20 just experimenting. Love the kim chi section and would show up anytime for a guided tour.

A weeknight might be better, as unless it is early Sunday morning the place is insanely crowded on the weekends.

Please be my guest!

A weeknight might be good because it wouldn't be crowded, but sometimes Super H staff don't fully re-stock during the week.

Anyway, remember! We can always adjust the tour hour. :lol:

Edited by grover

Please be my guest!

A weeknight might be good because it wouldn't be crowded, but sometimes Super H staff don't fully re-stock during the week.

Anyway, remember! We can always adjust the tour hour.  :lol:

I'd like to get on the list if at possible, especially after today's foray into the DC farmers' market in NE. I was very confused as to what some of the things were, but I ended up with some really fine-looking snapper.

I'd like to get on the list if at possible, especially after today's foray into the DC farmers' market in NE.  I was very confused as to what some of the things were, but I ended up with some really fine-looking snapper.

Speaking for Grover, (she lets me do that sometime), would you be interested in doing shopping and then returning to our house, preparing sushi with the groceries that Grover and I bought and then having that sushi for lunch? Korean sushi that Grover prepares doesn't use fish and isn't spicy but certainly is good to eat.

So, to recap, shopping, preparing sushi, eating same...good?

I would like to be on this list as well if it is a possiblity

What we will do is take a page from hillvalley's book and when we get to 5 people who are willing to get up at 0dark30 and trudge to Super H for a 9:00 shopping expedition, we'll go. As the list grows (it will grow, I hope), we'll do a lottery and take 5 people at a time. We don't want to be a disruption to Super H but do want to explain what those strange foods are. Fair enough?

Speaking for Grover, (she lets me do that sometime), would you be interested in doing shopping and then returning to our house, preparing sushi with the groceries that Grover and I bought and then having that sushi for lunch?  Korean sushi that Grover prepares doesn't use fish and isn't spicy but certainly is good to eat.

So, to recap, shopping, preparing sushi, eating same...good?

I usually make a california style roll with avocado, marinated ground beef, egg, tobiko fish roe and pickled radish (but ingredients can be changed) and handrolls with radish sprouts and cucumber (either fresh or pickled).

OK! So far, we have....

B.A.R. (shopping)

Principia (shopping)

Demetrius (shopping and cooking)

scottreitz (shopping and cooking)

tenunda (shopping and cooking)

B.A.R. and Principia,

Please let me know if you would like to join cooking sushi as well.

Edited by grover

OK! So far, we have....

B.A.R. (shopping)

Principia (shopping)

tenunda (shopping and cooking)

I would like to limit this to 5 people at a time because we don't have a huge kitchen.

Be aware! It won't be the first or last time, Escoffier and I think we can do this monthly if anyone is interested. :lol:

Please PM me before friday 8:00 PM if you are coming and we'll make arrangments to meet at Super H.

Edited by grover

I would like to limit this to 5 people at a time because we don't have a huge kitchen.

Be aware! It won't be the first or last time, Escoffier and I think we can do this monthly if anyone is interested.  :lol:

Please PM me before friday 8:00 PM if you are coming and we'll make arrangments to meet at Super H.

Count me out, sorry! Plans cropped up for the weekend. Have a good time, I'll have Scott fill me in...

Saturday AM my wife has yoga, so I'd be bringing my daughter, who is two. She's pretty good for a two year old, but Timothy Treadwell thought those bears were pretty good too.

If there are no objections to bringing my daughter (we usually go there anyway around this time), I'd love to.

Unfortunately I have to decline the kind offer of sushi at your house afterwards, but hopefully another time.

Saturday AM my wife has yoga, so I'd be bringing my daughter, who is two. She's pretty good for a two year old, but Timothy Treadwell thought those bears were pretty good too.

If there are no objections to bringing my daughter (we usually go there anyway around this time), I'd love to.

Unfortunately I have to decline the kind offer of sushi at your house afterwards, but hopefully another time.

You daughter is more than welcome. We had something come up for this weekend so we're going to postpone to next weekend. Hope your groceries hold out for another week :lol: .

Ladies and gentlemen, our initial trip to Super H and sushi making afterwards will take place on February 11 at 9:00am. Rather than try to plan everything on such short notice (and the fact that there is some personal stuff we have to take care of), we're going to give everyone a week to plan.

Okay, nothing between us and Super H this weekend. Saturday morning 2/11 at 9:00am good for everyone? If you would like to be part of a guided tour of all those stranges things in the store, PM Grover and let her know. We'd like to keep the group to no more than 5 (1/2's welcome as well).

After shopping, if you'd like, you can return to our house and make sushi (Grover and I will buy the ingredients, you can help make it) and have a Korean sushi pig-out.

Edited by Escoffier

Please let me finalize the list of Super H tour members:

B.A.R. + .5 (shopping)

Principia (shopping)

tenunda (shopping and cooking) - not sure

We are going to meet at the front door of Super H on Feb 11 9:00 AM.

After shopping we (except B.A.R. and Pricipia) will go to my house and will learn how to make rolled sushi (not nigiri with raw fish).

Any question?

Edited by grover

Feb 9th Thursday, so far 4.5 people are coming.

Actually we can have one more person for shopping & cooking, though....

B.A.R. + .5 (shopping)

Principia +1 (shopping)

Edited by grover

This is far too long in coming but many thanks to Grover and Escoffier for putting this together. It was great to put faces to names, head down some aisles I had never ventured into, and receive a tutorial on the Darwinian nature of Asian food packaging (red means hot).

Who would have thought that dried oyster mushrooms and garlic slivers would be such a tasty snack. And if I ever have a drunkin craving for squid and peanut puffs, I now know just where to look. Principia and Brian's enthusiasm and knowledge on topics ranging from bento boxes to rice cookers to Japanese junk food was impressive.

Nice to meet you all, and thanks again!

This is far too long in coming but many thanks to Grover and Escoffier for putting this together. It was great to put faces to names, head down some aisles I had never ventured into, and receive a tutorial on the Darwinian nature of Asian food packaging (red means hot).

Who would have thought that dried oyster mushrooms and garlic slivers would be such a tasty snack. And if I ever have a drunkin craving for squid and peanut puffs, I now know just where to look. Principia and Brian's enthusiasm and knowledge on topics ranging from bento boxes to rice cookers to Japanese junk food was impressive.

Nice to meet you all, and thanks again!

Brian it was great fun and Grover and I are already starting to put together next month's tour. We're thinking of a "eating at Super H before you grocery shop" tour. Going to be limited to 3 people (you guys were just the right size to shop with) and participants will have to come hungry and ready to explore.

Many thanks to grover and Escoffier for leading this very informative tour through the aisles of the splendiferous Super H. I enjoyed meeting everyone, and look forward to seeing y'all again soon!

If folks are interested, I would be glad to type up my notes into a post... although it's likely to be a tad lengthy. :lol:

I would love to participate on the next tour. I have a 6 yo daughter every other week that may put a crimp in the scedule, but please let me know.

Scott

A 6 year old isn't a problem. A 36 year old can be a problem... :lol: As we get closer to a date we'll post all the information Scott. She (and you) are welcome.

A 6 year old isn't a problem. A 36 year old can be a problem... :lol: As we get closer to a date we'll post all the information Scott. She (and you) are welcome.

I'd like to come, too, but Saturdays I'm ususally out trying desperately to sell more pots (or, conversely, make more so I have more to sell)

Rob

I'd like to come, too, but Saturdays I'm ususally out trying desperately to sell more pots (or, conversely, make more so I have more to sell)

Rob

We generally go around 9:00am. A Sunday trip is an option if that is easier for everyone. (We're nothing if not flexible :lol: )