Corn

The Dupont market sounds great. I went to the Arlington market yesterday and got some asparagus that was delicious.

I have a question though. Theres nothing like summer corn and I'm a fan in the sense that I could eat 3-4 ears at a time. Do any of the markets get really good fresh corn during the summer? Like silver queen and the like?

There are at least 4-6 weeks before you are going to find any corn worth eating, let alone tasting really good. Remember what the farmers say "Knee high by the 4th of July". Once the season hits though, most of the farms at Dupont, Arlington, 36th & Alton, Takoma, etc. will have great corn.

I picked up some great garlic, cilantro, basil and greens yesterday at 36th & Aton. They will be there for one more week and then shut down for a month :lol:

Corn comparison report:

Run, do not walk, to the next farmers market that Toigo will be at and buy their corn.

It is heaven on earth! Ambrosia, perfection and paradise in every bite.

The corn I bought at Dupont from the West Virginia folks was nice but it suffered mightily next to the Toigo corn. The Toigo corn is the stuff of dreams.

Really.

Jennifer, plotting a Claredon run on Wednesday before the Nats game...

I got corn from another vendor (can't remember who, wasn't Tiogo) and it was perfect silver queen. The kinda ears you dream of ALL year long, and finally it's here. I had 4 ears last night. I just couldn't stop! It went perfectly with polyface beef burgers. DE lish.

btw, Dupont market is awesome. We go to Arlington usually, but Dupont was da bomb. I am hooked.

I got corn from another vendor (can't remember who, wasn't Tiogo) and it was perfect silver queen. The kinda ears you dream of ALL year long, and finally it's here. I had 4 ears last night. I just couldn't stop! It went perfectly with polyface beef burgers. DE lish.

btw, Dupont market is awesome. We go to Arlington usually, but Dupont was da bomb. I am hooked.

Was it Sunnyside? Right next to Mass Ave? I saw they had silver queen but I didn't think I could remember where I had bought 3 differnt kinds of corn and I really, really wanted to remember for next week.

Now can someone help me remember which heirloom tomatoes I buy each week? Mr. BLB is despairing of ever being able to get the same tomato from week to week. They're all good....just some are better.

Jennifer

Or was it from the vendor across from the flower stand? They (New Morning) were the only ones selling organic corn on Sunday. I am munching on an ear of their corn and it's like sugar. Who needs salt and butter when you have corn like this.

oh, one more thing, THANK YOU heather for my cilantro :P I didn't get to do my own shopping so you made my morning.

The vendor is the first one on the street, vs. the lot vendors. The one across from the flower vendor was giving out pieces of their corn, but I'd bought mine already. Also, Tiogo's fruits were all spectacular. They had tomatoes , melons and peaches cut up for a little bit. So, so good. They are one of the most popular farms apparently. They were busier than a one armed paper hanger.

I fried up a huge field tomato (tiogo) tonite, coated with biscuit mix and cornmeal. I also bought an heirloom tomato which we'll have tommorow with buffalo mozzerella.

A also bought homemade peirgoies from a vendor in the lot. they had organics, premade items, eggs. Can't remember the name, but I'll report on the peirogies when I serve them up.

Corn at Toigo.

I bought some of the Toigo corn at Penn Quarter on Thursday. They had it all cut up in rings to try there raw. It was amazing. I bought 6 ears which went down the hatch on Thursday. Loaded up again this morning at Dupont. Sayanora ce soir-a.

Best damn corn I've ever eaten in my life. The Mrs. says the same thing. The only reason why you should put a little butter on it is to get a little bit of salt to stick.

Edited by CrescentFresh

I bought some of the Toigo corn at Penn Quarter on Thursday.  They had it all cut up in rings to try there raw.  It was amazing.  I bought 6 ears which went down the hatch on Thursday.  Loaded up again this morning at Dupont.  Sayanora ce soir-a.

Best damn corn I've ever eaten in my life.  The Mrs. says the same thing.  The only reason why you should put a little butter on it is to get a little bit of salt to stick.

I put the corn in some homemade cornbread. Oh yeah!

I got a dozen ears of corn from Tiogo yesterday at Court House. It was yellow corn and pretty tasty....for yellow corn. The silver queen I got last week from Dupont was da bomb though.

Is silver queen over already? Did anyone get white/s.q. at Dupont today? Any thoughts if I'll be able to find it at Dupont next Sunday?

Thanks!

btw.....the tomatoes and white peaches from Tioga were........da bomb.

At Dupont this morning one of the guys at Toigo told me it was the same corn as last week.

Speaking of corn, folks, be nice to your favorite farmer. Make their lives easier, especially in the ridiculous heat. If you must pull down the husk to inspect your corn (which really doesn't tell you much anyway because the other side of the corn could have worms, irregular kernel pattern, etc.) please make sure that you put the husks in whatever container they have provided for you. Nothing sucks more than working 7 hours and then having to spend more time cleaning up after people who can't bother to put their husks in the basket under the table. Thanks :P

The garlic women made their annual two week appearance today. I picked up a couple of different varieties of garlic. Unfortunately they are now done for the season.

Outrageously good WV peaches this AM at Dupont. Also can't wait to try the first corn of the season. The Toigo corn last year was some of the best I've ever had. I hope it's a repeat.

It is definitely as good as last season. Mr. BLB remarked that I had finally made "the good corn" after several weeks of lousy corn from various grocery stores.