Healthier Choices in North FFX South Loudoun Co's

I haven't posted much lately because I haven't eaten out as much lately!

My new stomping grounds are California Tortilla in North Point in Reston because I can get a salad with grilled chicken over ICEBERG lettuce (yes I'm picky!) that tastes good and isn't too high in calories.

I'm looking for places that list exchanges, calories and/or nutritional values on their MENUS at the restaurant! (no I don't want the web sites or the wall (like McD's etc...) That way I can hopefully know exactly what I'm getting and approximately the calories. I know applebees does it in conjunction with Weight Watchers but are there others near here?

I'm proud to add that I've been on Nutrisystem for about 14 weeks and have lost about 47.5 pounds so far.

So I would really, REALLY appreciate any and all assistance for tastier, healthier menus that are NOT filled with green rabbit food. I abhor most greens so I want to find other "healthy" alternatives when dining out.

Thanks everyone I really appreciate all of your help and feel free to comment here as well as PM me too if you wish.

President of Winbig - www.networkva.com - a FREE networking group for entrepreneurs.

I'm looking for places that list exchanges, calories and/or nutritional values on their MENUS at the restaurant! (no I don't want the web sites or the wall (like McD's etc...) That way I can hopefully know exactly what I'm getting and approximately the calories. I know applebees does it in conjunction with Weight Watchers but are there others near here? ..

First, let me congratulate you on your weight loss--you should definitely be proud of your accomplishment!

Second, my $.02...you are looking for quick answers, and there are none. Eating healthy is a lifestyle change, and no one said it would be easy.

You never know when or where you're going to struck by inspiration. Mine comes from a touching story involving a little ten-year-old girl who has struggled with Juvenile Diabetes since she was three. I doubt I'll ever meet her, but she's the impetus behind an eight-week program that I'm starting on, today. <snip>

(Outing myself, encouraged by Don's recent inspiration) Having had to count exchanges, carbs, calories, etc for the past 36+ years due to Type 1 Diabetes myself, I can say that your best bet is to become as knowledgeable as you can about food, and empower yourself to make the decisions about what you can eat on a menu, and how much to eat of it. Portion sizes are just as important as ingredients; measure and weigh what you eat at home to know what quantity will = what, until you can look at a dish and say, "hmmm, that salad has about 8 ounces of chicken--I better wrap up half to take home with me." (Or make an accomodation somewhere else for the extra calories, if that's what you are counting) It is cumbersome at first, but it also does not take long to get the hang of it. What is really helpful is to get yourself a pocket guide, such as the one put out by Calorie King. This one lists calories, fat, carbs, and the best part, has an entire section on restaurants. It also includes diet guides and counters for cholesterol, protein, fiber, iron, sodium, etc. I've actually stopped carrying mine to work with me, since I have a computer accessible, and can go to the website anytime to look up a food item that I'm not certain about. I will check website menus ahead of time for places that I haven't been to before, and without a website menu, I will ask to have a menu faxed. You'll very soon find some standby places to eat, and find that it is relatively easy to eat "healthy" at most any restaurant. (Even McDonald's!)