This type of post may not be in the right place, and it may even already exist somewhere - sorry about that.

I've lived in DC for the past 2 years, and am fairly familiar with the restaurant scene in the area. I'm the type of foodie that is willing to travel for a great meal. I trek to Annapolis frequently for my crab fix and am not afraid to cross the bridge into NoVa. But I must confess, I have never eaten out in Baltimore, outside of Camden Yards. I'd like to ameliorate this situation.

My question is, what places are worth the drive? I'm talking must-go places: BBQ, sandwiches, ethnic cuisines, hole-in-the-wall, fast-food, one-of-a-kind, fine dining, crabs, etc. If you left the city, what foods would you crave, what places would you be sure to hit when you came back to visit? I am completely unfamiliar with Baltimore, and want to expand my horizons. What foods and restaurants are classic Baltimore, other than crab shacks?

Thanks for all the help, I'm looking forward to the tips!

This type of post may not be in the right place, and it may even already exist somewhere - sorry about that.

I've lived in DC for the past 2 years, and am fairly familiar with the restaurant scene in the area. I'm the type of foodie that is willing to travel for a great meal. I trek to Annapolis frequently for my crab fix and am not afraid to cross the bridge into NoVa. But I must confess, I have never eaten out in Baltimore, outside of Camden Yards. I'd like to ameliorate this situation.

My question is, what places are worth the drive? I'm talking must-go places: BBQ, sandwiches, ethnic cuisines, hole-in-the-wall, fast-food, one-of-a-kind, fine dining, crabs, etc. If you left the city, what foods would you crave, what places would you be sure to hit when you came back to visit? I am completely unfamiliar with Baltimore, and want to expand my horizons. What foods and restaurants are classic Baltimore, other than crab shacks?

Thanks for all the help, I'm looking forward to the tips!

You have to go to Faidley's, Obrycki's and Attman's at least once in your life, in my opinion. I might make the drive just for Brewer's art (I have lots of places to crash up there though), Peter's Inn, deck at Bo Brooks (sunset, table full of crabs, cold beers....) Cafe Hon (following or preceding a movie at the Senator), and maybe even breakfast at Spoons. There are plenty of other places I love but these are all pretty unique to Baltimore. You won't be able to find an equivalent in DC I don't think.

Ditto Faidleys. Lexington Market chicken boxes can be part of that trip. The downtown Baltimore market on Sundays just because of how enormous it is (plus the mini donuts guy). I like Golden West for its eccentric nature, silly hipster aesthetic and pretty decent food. Miss Shirley's for brunch is a HUGE favorite for me, though it's not very Baltimore. Probably more stuff, but I can't think of it off the top of my head.