Kooky Wine Labels ["Cat Amongst the Pigeons" - Barossa Red Wines]

Joe Riley

Never ones to shy away from fanciful wine names, I think that the people from Barossa Vines, LTD. have finally hit rock bottom:

Cat Amongst the Pigeons.

Give me a break.

Oh, sure, they explain the sensibility behind the name, how the vineyards are surrounded by several other well-known competitors, hence the old British expression, "like a cat amongst the pigeons", but still.

No website that I could find, but here is some info about it: http://www.vinoculation.com/archives/14

I understand that these are the latest and greatest in under-$20 Australian reds. I will await tasting reports from the more intrepid Australian wine drinkers.

The question is: Does this series of wine adhere to the generally-sound notion that one should stay the hell away from wine labels with cute, fuzzy animals on them, or is it an exception to this rule?

Edit: Here's a label example:

catatplb1.jpg

The question is: Does this series of wine adhere to the generally-sound notion that one should stay the hell away from wine labels with cute, fuzzy animals on them, or is it an exception to this rule?

"Two wrongs don't make a right...but three do."

-
Deteriorata

Could this be a sign of impending animal/label escalation? How long before we see N-animal labels from Down Under? I offer the following suggestions free of charge to any Australian winemaker in need of a brand:

Three Blind Mice

Two Bucks And Chuck (A Doe)

One Weasel, But With Many Parasitic Nematodes

Three Blind Mice

Someone definitely has "Three Blind Moose" already :(

I came up with some suggestions for Australian wines when it was rumored that Bonny Doon's Randall Grahm was considering sourcing fruit from there:

Big Oz Red

Penal Noir (an hommage to their prison colony past)

I even thought of a PERFECT label for a pricey California Cabernet Sauvignon. Put this famous photo of LBJ holding his little beagle up by it's ears on the label:

C311-7-64web.jpg

And call it.....

(ready?)

"SQUEALING BEAGLE"

:(

I always think the odd names have hidden meanings.

A wine named "Five Legged Goat" might be an aphrodisiac? More likely, it might be named for a famous

art work at Disney World.

A drink call the "Green Fairy"? Invented by an Irish organization of same sort? No, a name for

absinthe (or a drink made from absinthe).

It is a strange, strange world.