Charbay Vodkas

Sthitch

I keep seeing Charbay vodkas around town but have yet to try them. Are they worth the effort to pick-up a bottle? I find that most flavored vodkas leave me flat, the flavors tend towards candied. The one exception being Hanger 1 which tend to taste and smell like the fruits that are in them. So do the flavors of Charbay fall closer to Hanger 1 or Smirnoff/Absolute/Stoli?

I keep seeing Charbay vodkas around town but have yet to try them. Are they worth the effort to pick-up a bottle? I find that most flavored vodkas leave me flat, the flavors tend towards candied. The one exception being Hanger 1 which tend to taste and smell like the fruits that are in them. So do the flavors of Charbay fall closer to Hanger 1 or Smirnoff/Absolute/Stoli?

I rarely if ever drink vodka, but I know my wife is a fan of the Charbay Green Tea vodka that Chris used to make a drink with at Dino. Joe ordered a bottle for her so I am sure you could get whatever flavor through him.

I almost hate to mention this, because I cannot swear to it, but I'm under the impression that Charbay's flavored vodkas (i.e. citrus or orange) used to actually spoil after being open for a couple of days.

I was told this by the (now former) bar manager at one of downtown D.C.'s nicer restaurants. Perhaps he was incorrect, I cannot say, but he preferred the Hangar One vodka flavors because they were actually fruit-infused, not just flavoring-added.

I almost hate to mention this, because I cannot swear to it, but I'm under the impression that Charbay's flavored vodkas (i.e. citrus or orange) used to actually spoil after being open for a couple of days.

One bottle of Charbay has taught me this. It turns almost as fast as Vya vermouth. I find my bottles of Vya turn in about 1 day.

It turns almost as fast as Vya vermouth. I find my bottles of Vya turn in about 1 day.

I would agree that Vya is not as good the second day as the first, but even after a month opened (and kept in the refrigerator) it is still head and shoulders above any other vermouth on the market.

1 day? I take it you don't buy too much of this. :mellow:
I buy way too much of it. Honestly at day 2, even in the fridge, it's basically unusable to me. I reserve making manhattans until I know I've got friends over and I can just make a bunch of them at once to go through a bottle. I don't know how it happened but I've gained this taste for turned vermouth and when I taste it I generally cannot drink my drink.

what are your thoughts on Effen Vdka? it's the only flavored vodka I've ever tried- before that, I've always been a fan of Vox...

Can't say... haven't had it.

My flavored vodka sampling is FAR from comprehensive. The list of flavored vodkas I haven't tasted dwarfs the ones I have. So I'm probably low on the list of people you should be listening to :-)

The only Effen flavored vodka I've seen is the black cherry. I haven't had it.

The Hangar One flavors are, to me, the most pure in taste, the best tasting and have the most enticing aromas.

I could not agree more, there is no missing the inclusion of the Hanger One Mandarin Blossom in a drink, but what I am truly smitten for is the Frasier River Raspberry, they have managed to capture the pure essence of the raspberry.