Mardi Gras, 2008

Joe Riley

I had the pleasure last night of having an wonderfully-made, honest-to goodness Sazerac (thanks, Derek!), one of the quintessential beverage experiences of New Orleans (as the article I'm about to post mentions, "Hurricanes are for tourists, Sazeracs are for natives")

Derek thoughtfully provided me with this excellent article about the Sazerac cocktail (note: it's slightly out of date. For example, it mentions that Old Overholt Rye is 86 proof, and it no longer is, it is now 80 proof)

The traditional pastis of New Orleans is Herbsaint, a low-cost absinthe-substitute which is ubiquitous in N.O. as is the aforementioned Old Overholt, which is perfectly-decent and inexpensive for rye whiskey.

Also, I expect that Abita beers (Amber, Purple Haze, Turbo Dog, Restoration Ale, etc..) will be consumed.

I guess that Dixie (and, by extension, Blackened Voodoo Lager and Crimson Voodoo) are still not available here due to the aftermath of Katrina? Haven't seen them since.

Laissez le bon temps roulez!

The traditional pastis of New Orleans is Herbsaint, a low-cost absinthe-substitute which is ubiquitous in N.O. as is the aforementioned Old Overholt, which is perfectly-decent and inexpensive for rye whiskey.

Herbsaint is a wonderful substitution in a lot of the Baker and Ritz cocktail recipes as it's not nearly as overpowering as the Absinthe currently available in the US.

:mellow:

Where are you getting the fresh peach juice for the Bellinis?

I froze some white peach juice that I picked this past summer, not as good as when they are still warm from the tree but will do at the beginning of February. I also use a touch of homemade peach infused vodka that I made from the same batch of peaches.

Tonight my Mardi Gras guests will be treated to:

Sazeracs with Old Overholt Rye and Pernod

Gin and Tonics with their choice of Plymouth or Hendrick's with Fever Tree Tonic

Abita Mardi Gras bock

Lagunitas Brown Shugga

I think my invitation got lost in the mail :mellow:

In any event, I'm headed to the Violet Hour here in Chicago to have a sazerac.