Gypsy Soul Farmstand

Gypsy Soul (the restaurant) has a stand at the Mosaic Farmers Market on Sundays. They sell mostly dips and spreads. Today they had pimento cheese spread, an onion dip, crab ramp dip, and a macaroni shrimp salad. The pimento cheese (which we bought last week) was probably the best I've had. And I've had a lot of pimento cheese in my years! Looking forward to trying the crab dip. (you can taste everything at the market. Its just my allergies are killing my taste buds when I'm outside so I can't really weigh in on the other items yet.)

• Like 1

Today the Gypsy Soul Farm stand was offering the pimento spread, onion dip, blackberry gazpacho, mushroom soup and oyster chowder as well as pork sandwiches and beignets. I got my usual, the pimento spread which is outrageously good.  I've had the gazpacho before which is very refreshing. One day, I hope to try the sandwiches, but usually I arrive at the market just after breakfast and just don't feel like it. This stand is a great addition to the Mosaic Farmers Market, and a great opportunity to try some of the Gypsy Soul offerings. Chef Cooper was there as usual.

• Like 2

I didn't even know this thread had existed!  Thanks all.

For the farm stand next week, please hit us up on our Facebook or twitter page (mine as well) to give us summer suggestions for the stand.

some of the items of suggestion for next week:

• chilled sweet corn soup: we will do ours with espelette pepper
  • asian cucumbers, sheep's yogurt & mint soup
  • last weekend for blackberry gazpacho
  • our mac & cheese: this we will sell with a pint of our noodles and a half pint of our mornay which is the ratio we use at GS.
  • grilled watermelon, fresno pepper, tomato & cherry tomato salad, old sherry and shisho
  • vidalia onion dip
  • pimento cheese (yes there is heat to it & no its not your mom's nor mine)
  • smoked tuna spread

suggestions please:

Oh and of course the duck fat beignets!

off the grill next week we will roast shoat and serve it in a bao bun with fermented mango slaw & smoked aioli

thats all thanks for coming to see us  I was there all day

That pimento cheese made my eyes water. My husband, who is a chili pepper head, loves it. Not your mother's pimento cheese.

I buy the pimento cheese spread almost every week. This past week's version was a little spicier than usual. I loved it, but it definitely had a kick.

This SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY!!!!!!

cold soups 10/pt

• grilled watermelon salmorejo
  • chilled peach & creme fraiche soup
  • spicy grilled cucumber & avocado soup
  • sweet corn

spreads

• smoked tuna
  • pimento cheese
  • spicy peach catsup

OFF THE GRILL  8

• adobo glazed pork belly
  • spicy pickled cucumbers
  • smoked dukes mayo
  • hawaiian roll
  • Like 1

There doesn't seem to be a separate topic for the Mosaic District Farmer's Market, so I'll drop this here.  

I went to the Mosaic market this past Sunday for the first time, as I had stupidly forgotten to buy tomatoes while at the Falls Church market the day before.  There are a great many more prepared foods available at Mosaic, and with free yoga on the plaza that ends soon after the market opens, so there is apparently quite a large street food wandering brunch that happens.  Only a handful of farm stands, and the produce tends to run .50 to $1 more per pound at Mosaic than FC.   There is a cheesemonger there who has several very interesting looking cheeses (I didn't get the name); the Falls Church market does not have its equal.  I have too much cheese right now and will have to work down my supply so I can go back and get some of their wares.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, weezy said:

There is a cheesemonger there who has several very interesting looking cheeses (I didn't get the name); the Falls Church market does not have its equal.  I have too much cheese right now and will have to work down my supply so I can go back and get some of their wares.

The cheese merchant was most likely Stonyman Gourmet Farmer. Their cheese is quite good.