Thurman Munson (1947-1979) - New York Yankee Catcher, Team Captain, and Retired Uniform #15

DonRocks

Let's not forget Thurman Munson as a bridge between Yogi and Posada. Munson was the most valuable 1970s catcher,  so respected by the Yankees that his teammates revived the practice of naming a team captain. They were not designating a team captain for a long time before Munson. Munson was the link between Yogi and Jeter, IMO.

Of course.

I didn't realize Thuman Munson wasn't in the Hall of Fame - would you rate him above Bench?

• Like 1

When I was a catcher in high school, I wore #15 and my friends all called me Thurman. He was and still is my all-time baseball hero. I would take him over Bench and Fisk when it mattered most. He had that "Yankee Captain intangible" like Derek Jeter. No, they were never the best players in the game at the time they played, but when it mattered, when you needed the team carried on their backs, or when a play or an at-bat meant the difference between winning and going home, they were the only players in baseball you wanted on the stage.