The Darién Gap - 100 Miles of Forest Interrupting the 19,000-Mile Pan-American Highway

Al Dente

I'm always on the lookout for the remote, mysterious, and dangerous parts of our world and the Darién Gap between Panama and Columbia is certainly one of them. 

I heard about this on NPR: 

Jun 22, 2016 - "Via Cargo Ships and Jungle Treks, Africans Dream of Reaching the U.S." by Carrie Kahn on npr.org

Refugees from Africa are making their way through the impossibly rugged terrain and braving confrontation with FARC and drug lords. I had never thought of South/Central America as a destination for refugees from so far away. I also didn't know about the 19,000 mile-long Pan-American highway that's interrupted by this area.

Anyway, check it out.

2 hours ago, Al Dente said:

I had never thought of South/Central America as a destination for refugees from so far away.

Many of them are en route to the U.S. There are well-established smuggling routes starting with a flight or ship ride from Africa or Asia to Brazil then up though South and Central America to Mexico and then over the southern border of the U.S.

More African and Asian Migrants Are Arriving in Mexico After Long Latin American Journeys

The rise of African and Asian migrants in Latin America reflects both the tightening of border restrictions in Europe and their loosening in some Latin American countries, such as Ecuador.

Migrants who would never be granted a visa to fly directly to the US, find Latin America an easier point of entry into the continent.

21 hours ago, Al Dente said:

I'm always on the lookout for the remote, mysterious, and dangerous parts of our world and the Darién Gap between Panama and Columbia is certainly one of them. 

I heard about this on NPR: 

Jun 22, 2016 - "Via Cargo Ships and Jungle Treks, Africans Dream of Reaching the U.S." by Carrie Kahn on npr.org

Refugees from Africa are making their way through the impossibly rugged terrain and braving confrontation with FARC and drug lords. I had never thought of South/Central America as a destination for refugees from so far away. I also didn't know about the 19,000 mile-long Pan-American highway that's interrupted by this area.

Anyway, check it out.

I directed World Rider to this post, and asked him, "How did you get through the Darién Gap?" on Facebook here.

His response: "I did not ride through that mess! Practically impossible, so I put me and my bike on a plane!"

2 hours ago, dracisk said:

I just came across this article: July 19, 2016, A Terrifying Journey Through the World's Most Dangerous Jungle, by Jason Motlagh in Outside. I haven't read it yet, but it looks fascinating.

Jason Motlagh was interviewed on NPR: 

"Stories from the Dangerous Darién Gap" by Sacha Pfeiffer on wbur.org

I can't even imagine what it would take to reach the US like this.