Jump to content
Ferris Bueller

Paid Parking Slowly Killing Reston Town Center?

Recommended Posts

On 2/9/2018 at 4:54 PM, Ferris Bueller said:

Gourmet Food Store Opening At Reston Town Center

Balducci's is giving Reston another shot, after having closed a Reston location some years ago in favor of a McLean store.  Should be interesting as the location is on the main level of a new apartment building, with garage parking.  

Remarkable they are going to give it another go. I use to frequent the Reston location years ago, this was before there was a Whole Foods locally as well, and at it's best the store usually felt a little bit busy. The location set empty for many years until it became a PetSmart! The new location will be on the 'dead side' of the RTC which use to house FedEx and before that a Ruby Tuesdays, I believe.

Next there is a Lotte going into the Herndon Centre as well as a Sprouts grocery store. All will be in the same plaza as Mom's Organic Market. Finally a Total Wine also inside the Plaza America center with Whole Foods. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/16/2018 at 9:05 AM, Ferris Bueller said:

What do you do when you have too much vacant office space or apartment space?  

Empty Tysons Office Building, Approved For Apartments, To Be Converted Into Self-Storage Instead

And this has what to do with the gradual demise of Reston Town center?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nothing, directly.  Tyson's development footprint appears to be spilling into the Reston area as development there increases significantly.  Some of the apartment developers have already expressed concern about absorption rates for the new vertical rentals (apartments or condos).  Musing this may be a potential future of empty office space in Reston. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Keithstg said:

And this has what to do with the gradual demise of Reston Town center?

2 hours ago, Ferris Bueller said:

Nothing, directly.  Tyson's development footprint appears to be spilling into the Reston area as development there increases significantly.  Some of the apartment developers have already expressed concern about absorption rates for the new vertical rentals (apartments or condos).  Musing this may be a potential future of empty office space in Reston. 

My gut is if the developers lay off the parking mess the retail center will remain as the popular downtown of Western Fairfax.  The major issue for the current time being that eating and retailing denizens of RTC found other places to eat drink and dine while the parking snafu/attempted ripoff occurred.  

From Tysons to Reston to Loudoun you have one of the strongest bases of technical talent in the nation.  I don’t see it moving out in mass anytime soon.  

Development and growth tend to have a very erratic pattern though the long term trend has been astoundingly up. I don’t see anything changing on the current horizon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, DaveO said:

My gut is if the developers lay off the parking mess the retail center will remain as the popular downtown of Western Fairfax.  The major issue for the current time being that eating and retailing denizens of RTC found other places to eat drink and dine while the parking snafu/attempted ripoff occurred.  

From Tysons to Reston to Loudoun you have one of the strongest bases of technical talent in the nation.  I don’t see it moving out in mass anytime soon.  

Development and growth tend to have a very erratic pattern though the long term trend has been astoundingly up. I don’t see anything changing on the current horizon

I definitely agree with DaveO, unfortunately Boston Properties' generational leadership change has resulted in taking the let's wait out the situation and keep doing what we are doing.

My question is how much money are they getting for generating shopping data and data mining for commerce from their app. As license plate readers (~$500) become more prevalent due to their low cost of implementation expect more food related industries to be effected. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, lion said:

 

My question is how much money are they getting for generating shopping data and data mining for commerce from their app. As license plate readers (~$500) become more prevalent due to their low cost of implementation expect more food related industries to be effected. 

Oh crap!  So now landlord(s) can get into the privacy data collection business as well as ISP’s and the big kahunas of corporate control of privacy information (google, Amazon and Facebook).  

Getting back to Reston;  It is  such a highly coveted location for tech centric businesses and has been for decades and continues to grow in that regard.  It manufactures jobs nearby residents and visitors.  

In a certain context Boston Properties came up with the worst possible idea for RTC and backed off once they saw how destructive it was.  

I think they learned their lesson

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As New Tenants Come to Reston Town Center, Current Businesses Report Losses Due to Paid Parking

  • Big Bowl reported a 15 percent drop in sales compared to 2016. A major portion of the drop happened during lunch hours, when parking is not free.
  • Ben and Jerry’s estimated a 10 percent decrease in sales.
  • Pitango reports an 11 percent drop in sales last year, as compared to 2016.
  • Edibles Incredible Desserts reported $135,000 in losses last year compared to the previous year.
  • PR Partners says its new quest business is down an average of between 25 and 30 percent “as a result of paid parking.”

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jeez, I didn't know the details and size of the Reston Gateway project. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Muse Paintbar is Coming to Reston Town Center

The wine-and-paint studio will have a 3,000-square-foot storefront, currently the home of The Eyewear Gallery.

The Bike Lane Plans to Relocate to Sunset Hills Road in May

Longtime Reston Town Center tenant The Bike Lane plans to relocate to 11150 Sunset Hills Road in May.

The new location will allow the business to capitalize on direct access to the Washington & Old Dominion Trail. The space will also incorporate a coffee bar and micro brewery, in addition to free parking for customers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ferris Bueller said:

Huge Company Moving out of RTC

Taking 600 employees and adding possibly 600 more, Appian is moving to Tyson's.

And make no mention of the no good, very bad, totally horrible parking situation as rationale for their move.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×