Dining in West Falls Church

Across Route 50 from Loehmann's Plaza, where I went the other night for some pho at Pho 50 (which is in nice little three-eatery row with Punjab Dhaba and Old Hickory Grille), is a little plaza called Graham Center, which has a Vietnamese joint called Pho Golden Cow and a Bolivan joint called Llajtaymanta Restaurant.

Anyone got some 411 on either or both? I've enjoyed my meals at another local Bolivian spot, Luzmila's Cuisine on W. Broad St. -- is Llajtaymanta a worthy competitor?

And how does Pho Golden Cow stack up against Phos 50 and 75?

Across Route 50 from Loehmann's Plaza, where I went the other night for some pho at Pho 50 (which is in nice little three-eatery row with Punjab Dhaba and Old Hickory Grille), is a little plaza called Graham Center, which has a Vietnamese joint called Pho Golden Cow and a Bolivan joint called Llajtaymanta Restaurant.

Anyone got some 411 on either or both? I've enjoyed my meals at another local Bolivian spot, Luzmila's Cuisine on W. Broad St. -- is Llajtaymanta a worthy competitor?

And how does Pho Golden Cow stack up against Phos 50 and 75?

I've been to both. The soup at Pho Golden Cow tasted like it was made from a starter mix, and didn't have any depth whatsoever. A completely wasted lunch that had me cursing myself for trying to be open-minded. It's hard to believe this place can possibly survive being so close to Pho 75 and Pho 50, but maybe people just don't want to cross the highway.

I went to Llajtaymanta once when it first opened, many months ago, and I felt like I was eating in a Bolivian diner with a grandmother behind the stove. The food was very clean almost to the point of being austere - think "blue plate special." It's nothing at all like Luzmila's which is more lusty (incidentally, I think Luzmilas saltenas taste like they have Campbell's Chunky Soup as filling, and the pastry is way too sugary for my taste). If I remember correctly, Llajtaymanta wasn't serving alcohol, but I'd definitely go back and have lunch there again.

Cheers,

Rocks.

I've been to both.  The soup at Pho Golden Cow tasted like it was made from a starter mix, and didn't have any depth whatsoever.  A completely wasted lunch that had me cursing myself for trying to be open-minded.  It's hard to believe this place can possibly survive being so close to Pho 75 and Pho 50, but maybe people just don't want to cross the highway.

I went to Llajtaymanta once when it first opened, many months ago, and I felt like I was eating in a Bolivian diner with a grandmother behind the stove.  The food was very clean almost to the point of being austere - think "blue plate special."  It's nothing at all like Luzmila's which is more lusty (incidentally, I think Luzmila's saltena's taste like they have Campbell's Chunky Soup as filling, and the pastry is way too sugary for my taste).  If I remember correctly, Llajtaymanta wasn't serving alcohol, but I'd definitely go back and have lunch there again.

Cheers,

Rocks.

Don: Thanks very much. Sounds like the Golden Cow is a false idol, not to be worshipped.

We certainly agree on Luzmila's saltenas. Those were the first and only saltenas I've had, and I found too them to be really soupy and really sweet. I thought , "This is Bolivia's national food? Yeech. Must be an acquired taste." I'm going to give Llajtaymanta a try real soon.

We certainly agree on Luzmila's saltenas. Those were the first and only saltenas I've had, and I found too them to be really soupy and really sweet. I thought , "This is Bolivia's national food? Yeech. Must be an acquired taste."

Try the saltenas at El Pike in Seven Corners!

I went to Llajtaymanta once when it first opened, many months ago, and I felt like I was eating in a Bolivian diner with a grandmother behind the stove.  The food was very clean almost to the point of being austere - think "blue plate special."  It's nothing at all like Luzmila's which is more lusty (incidentally, I think Luzmilas saltenas taste like they have Campbell's Chunky Soup as filling, and the pastry is way too sugary for my taste).  If I remember correctly, Llajtaymanta wasn't serving alcohol, but I'd definitely go back and have lunch there again.

Cheers,

Rocks.

I finally made it to Llajtaymanta today. It's definitely a cheap ticket to La Paz.

Once again I found myself somewhat challenged by Bolivian cuisine. I ordered chorizo taratena (helpfully translated as taratena sausage). The portion was huge, like at Luzmila's: six plump sausages on a plate filled with rice, salad, half a potato, and what I think is hominy or some variation thereof. The chorizos are a bright red, and the flavor was completely alien to me. Even Google couldn't help me figure out what exactly I just ate. :)

I would go back, but next time I'll try the sillpancho or the other steak dish. They also have duck, rabbit, and tongue entrees.

N.B. Brewskis are available, including Quilces from Argentina.