Graceland Farm

ScotteeM

Anybody know this farm? Their CSA subscription signup starts today, but I can't find any info on their website about share size, delivery schedule, or pick up locations. I'd love to know more about them!

www.gracelandmidland.com

It's probably a bit late, but a little more information can be found at http://www.localharvest.org/csa/M12941 (both on that page and on the "Visit our lisiting" link). I've signed up for this year and will report back as the season progresses. . .

First week's delivery was yesterday. A nice selection of early growers - green onions (scallions), red and green romaine lettuces, Red Russian kale / Siberian kale, Chinese Cabbage (Qingmeng ), and Spring mix. The items were individually bagged and placed in a larger bag for transport. All the lettuces were in very good shape - not wilted - and had been washed. The spring mix barely even needed another rinse while the loose-leaef lettuces did, probably due to the recent rains. Last night we ate the spring mix with a simple vinagrette - it was very good, with a nice blend of spicy (arugula and watercress) and slightly more toothsome (cabbage- or kale-like) greens to complement the standard mixed greens. The big surpise, though, were the thick stems of the Chinese Cabbage, which I had cut out for washing and bagging - they were surprisingly tender and had a faint cauliflower-esque-ness to them.

All in all, a great start to the season.

Week number 2: A further selection of very nice lettuces - kale, chicory, romaine, and chinese cabbage, supplemented by some very nice radishes, italian parsley, spring onions (red) and a gorgeous head of broccoli. I was once again greatly impressed by the prep that the veggies had undergone - everything had been thoroughly washed (the radishes were completely dirt-free), the broccolli had been trimmed, and the spring onions had seen their outer layer removed. This is in stark contrast to last year's CSA (which I abandoned in favor of Graceland), from which I would come home almost every week up to my elbows in mud from the wet, dirt-laden veggies. The broccoli, sauteed last night with some olive oil, garlic, the spring onions, salt and pepper, was stunningly good.

Since there doesn't seem to be too much interest in a weekly recitation of the contents of my delivery, I'll report back on anything particulalrly noteworthy. So far, though, I'd highly recommend them.

Week number 2: A further selection of very nice lettuces - kale, chicory, romaine, and chinese cabbage, supplemented by some very nice radishes, italian parsley, spring onions (red) and a gorgeous head of broccoli. I was once again greatly impressed by the prep that the veggies had undergone - everything had been thoroughly washed (the radishes were completely dirt-free), the broccolli had been trimmed, and the spring onions had seen their outer layer removed. This is in stark contrast to last year's CSA (which I abandoned in favor of Graceland), from which I would come home almost every week up to my elbows in mud from the wet, dirt-laden veggies. The broccoli, sauteed last night with some olive oil, garlic, the spring onions, salt and pepper, was stunningly good.

Since there doesn't seem to be too much interest in a weekly recitation of the contents of my delivery, I'll report back on anything particulalrly noteworthy. So far, though, I'd highly recommend them.

Just because no one responds doesn't mean there is no interest! Please feel free to keep posting about what you receive and what you decide to make with it.

Last Thursday's weekly reminder of things I could have been harvesting by now if I were more diligent: Shallots, Cilantro, Swiss chard, Romaine, Onions, Turnips and Broccoli. With this post, I will stop commenting on the consistently impressive preparation and packaging of the produce, since it is consistent. As for the veggies themselves, the broccoli was surprisingly tender - the stems didn't even need cooking, and the florets cooked up in a couple of minutes in a pan with olive oil, salt and garlic. The surprise this week were the shallots. I'd never had fresh shallots before. They came with the greens still on, which I used like scallion greens (this time, in an omelet), and they were pretty indistinguishable from scallions. The shallots themselves, though, were more sweet than the drier ones I had, and made a great vinaigrette.

Yes, indeed, please continue as long as you have patience. GennariO (something like that) asked about CSAs earlier in the spring and got no feedback about the ones he considered, so your reports are welcome. I also appreciate knowing what you're preparing with the week's share and how you're integrating the CSA ingredients w other grocery purchases when putting together meals.