Afghan Market, Edsall Road in Alexandria

Just when I thought I'd seen it all, I found myself literally walking over piles of Afghan rugs today in order to pick up my Bulanee ($2.50), a large, potato- and leek-stuffed turnover warmed up in Afghan Market's impressive stone oven.

This same oven is undoubtedly what produces Charlie's pizza, a delivery service whose extensive menu looks like something from a Greek-owned Italian Mom-n-Pop in South Dakota, with absolutely nothing revealing its association with this Afghan market, other than a single Arabic phrase on the bottom of the cover (perhaps saying "Halal meat," because that's what's advertised on the window outside).

Taken in tandem, the two operations are a fascinating case study in culture, economics, and sociology. The Afghan menu is much more interesting, with Tuesday-Saturday specials of Maash Pallow, Kala Paacha, Kichiri Quroot, Chai-nakee, and Qurooti, respectively.

You'll miss Afghan Market if you blink, even if you're looking for it. And who knew that they even had a second location in Chantilly? Click here for their website.

Cheers,

Rocks.

Just when I thought I'd seen it all, I found myself literally walking over piles of Afghan rugs today in order to pick up my Bulanee ($2.50), a large, potato- and leek-stuffed turnover warmed up in Afghan Market's impressive stone oven.

This same oven is undoubtedly what produces Charlie's pizza, a delivery service whose extensive menu looks like something from a Greek-owned Italian Mom-n-Pop in South Dakota, with absolutely nothing revealing its association with this Afghan market, other than a single Arabic phrase on the bottom of the cover (perhaps saying "Halal meat," because that's what's advertised on the window outside)....

Cheers,

Rocks.

Fascinating. Our local Afghan place where I live here in Jersey is also combined with a pizza joint. To enter the restaurant, you walk into what looks like a standard Jersey pizza operation & slip through a beaded curtain to your left. It's very unobtrusive from the street, you pretty much have to know it's there. No stone oven here, just a standard pizza oven which the Afghan guy uses to good advantage to bake Afghan breads & those turnovers.

Makes me wonder how common this sort of combined operation is.

(What am I doing here? Planning a trip, looking for possible dinner spots in Alexandria.)