Chop Suey, Egg Foo Young

Ericandblueboy

I've never had chop suey or egg foo young. Have you had it? Any good? Would you still eat it today?
I've probably made my own chop suey and I am not ashamed to say I have had egg foo young with gravy, and I would still eat chop suey today if I made it and egg foo young only if I attempted to make it or only if the head chef of my parents' former restaurant made it.

I'm not a big fan of egg foo young because it was deep-fried the way it was made at the restaurant, and I didn't want to have it a lot, since I'm not a big residual grease fan. But the gravy the chef made was good, so every time my older sister would have it, I would sneak a bite.

As you probably know, chop suey means 'bits and pieces' in Chinese or leftovers, I guess. So, I made my own when I was probably 8 or 10 with a bit napa, bamboo shoots, this and that and a white sauce, thickened in traditional corn starch. Not the best, but eh.

Now, the bigger question is whether anyone else had what my mom created, and what I still have from time-to-time: an egg roll burrito. One crispily fried egg roll wrapped in a tortilla, with a touch of Chinese mustard. Comfort food. :D