American Flatbread: Clarendon - Oven Dome Raising Party

DanCole42

Help be a part of Arlington history by helping to build the oven at the new Clarendon location on Saturday, July 11th, from 9AM-3:30PM.

From the flyer:

Corner of 11th & 1024 N Fillmore St

Arlington, VA 22201

CLOTHING: Wear something that can get muddy and boots or sneakers.

Children are welcome with parent supervision.

Contact details: Janice Vasko, 571-334-7036.

What is a dome raising?

Once long ago, earthen ovens were a central feature in each community. Volunteers would help to build the oven by mixing clay, straw, and wood ash, making an earthen mortar that completes the oven dome. The earthen oven would nurture each community with wonderful local and sustainably sourced ingredients cooked over a wood fire.

Don't expect to be eating pizza out of it for a while, though... these ovens take at least ninety days to fully cure.

This was a blast, by the way!

We mixed clay made from ground up, recycled bricks, sand, water, and also wood ash taken from the Ashburn oven. We roll these with hay and make them in to bricks. The bricks get piled onto a lattice of alder wood branches and burlap. After three months, the oven cures and a fire is lit inside. The fire burns out the wood, and then BAM! New oven.

There were lots of people there, and tons stopping by from the neighborhood to check it out. I can tell this is going to be a happening place. Click below for me at my best.

post-1225-124889882648_thumb.jpg

There were lots of people there, and tons stopping by from the neighborhood to check it out. I can tell this is going to be a happening place. Click below for me at my best.

post-1225-124889882648_thumb.jpg

I hope it is going to be a happening place, as they are going to be my new neighbors! We are relocating our shop into the Zoso building also, right next to Bakeshop. I have been over there on a daily basis, and it looks like the American Flatbread buildout is coming along pretty quickly. I imagine they will open sometime in October.

Dan, I will be sure to contact you when it is time to tile my floor. :rolleyes:

Just heard this was opening. Very nice. I hope they don't decide to close the Ashburn location. Still can't believe they put it out in Ashburn - at a dead-end plaza, too.

The Ashburn location will not be closing. It was put there so as to be closer to the Loudoun County farms that supply it, not to mention the bajillion new suburban developments cropping up.

But yes, it is kinda in the boonies. I predict that the Clarendon location will be regularly swamped.