Saturday Lunch in Warrenton

Ericandblueboy

We're going to Warrenton this Saturday to attend an afternoon wedding. The goal is to arrive early, grab lunch, drop the wife and dogs off at the hotel and then squeeze in 9 holes of golf. So looking for excellent lunch.

Anyone been to El Agave? Is it a good Mexican restaurant? Iron Bridge?

I would say Claire's at the Depot would be a reliable choice, but per the website they serve lunch tuesday through Friday, and Sunday Brunch, but nada on Saturday until 5PM.

Napoleons served me a serviceable lunch 4 years ago and a horrible one 2 years ago, all of which is irrelevant because it's undergone an ownership change (maybe 2) since my last visit.

People love McMahon's Irish Pub but I had some very mediocre bangers and mash when there last, maybe 2 years ago.

Agave gets great ratings on the yelp type sites but I live in Denver (for 28 years now) and have no desire to see how good a mexican joint in Warrenton might be. Color me skeptical however.

Where are you playing golf? I've heard good things about the grill room at Fauquier Springs CC, managed by the folks who used to own Legends and Legends Catering. This, the Rail Stop, and Ben & Mary's are where my parents take 95% of their meals outside the house...Ben & Mary's just makes me sad these days but one sure reads good reviews AND bad.

Would The Plains be too far away? If the Rail Stop is open for lunch--just checked, it is, but menu far more pedestrian that the dinner menu I've dined from-- I think I'd go there..... but you have a lot of running around to do and not much time to do it.

Actually I think I might go to Mojitos y Tapas if I were in your shoes, my wife and I had a very good lunch there last fall. It's in one of the shopping centers on the right as you enter town via 29, after you pass Blackwell Rd but before Winchester St. I forget the names...nice little Cuban place.

http://www.mojitosandtapas.com/index.cfm

Bailed on golfing but we had lunch at Mojitos & Tapas - they have outdoor seating and we have the dogs with us.

The good - lechon asada - shredded roast pork with diced onion, very flavorful and tasty

Galician octopus - very tender

The middling - fried yuca - this is fine by itself but the sauces weren't as good as Crisp & Juicy's

beef - empanada - too much fried crust and the filling was mediocre

cheese quesadilla - I threw some lechon in there to spice things up

manchego cheese with serrano ham - lots of flavorless cheese

The poor - tortilla espanola - not seasoned at all...needs salt and pepper!

The inedible - fried calamari - looks like Sysco product.

Bailed on golfing but we had lunch at Mojitos & Tapas - they have outdoor seating and we have the dogs with us.

The good - lechon asada - shredded roast pork with diced onion, very flavorful and tasty

Galician octopus - very tender

The middling - fried yuca - this is fine by itself but the sauces weren't as good as Crisp & Juicy's

beef - empanada - too much fried crust and the filling was mediocre

cheese quesadilla - I threw some lechon in there to spice things up

manchego cheese with serrano ham - lots of flavorless cheese

The poor - tortilla espanola - not seasoned at all...needs salt and pepper!

The inedible - fried calamari - looks like Sysco product.

Shoot ericandblueboy, I'm sorry! (We only had mains, the lechon asada you had and ropa vieja IIRC, and drinks, all of which we thought were good...or good for Warrenton...)

How was Iron Bridge? PS the bistro I was thinking about was called Crescendo but it is in fact closed...

Shoot ericandblueboy, I'm sorry! (We only had mains, the lechon asada you had and ropa vieja IIRC, and drinks, all of which we thought were good...or good for Warrenton...)

How was Iron Bridge? PS the bistro I was thinking about was called Crescendo but it is in fact closed...

I actually should thank you for bringing it to my attention. It was the only place where we could sit outside with our dogs. It really wasn't bad for Warrenton, just not great. The one dish to avoid was the fried calamari. We never made it to Iron Bridge, got up and went back to DC so I can get some work done.