21st Birthday Dinner

Flavortown

My 21st birthday is coming up, and my family is planning to come down to DC to take me out for dinner and all. I'd like to pick a place where we can try some truly impressive food, but while I've consulted lists like the Washingtonian's top 100 and the Dining Guide on here, I have no clue which places are willing/able to accommodate younger children. I've got two sisters - 13 and 9 - who will be tagging along, and who aren't the most adventurous readers.

So, anybody have suggestions for the ultimate foody dinner where children won't be out of place?

My 21st birthday is coming up, and my family is planning to come down to DC to take me out for dinner and all. I'd like to pick a place where we can try some truly impressive food, but while I've consulted lists like the Washingtonian's top 100 and the Dining Guide on here, I have no clue which places are willing/able to accommodate younger children. I've got two sisters - 13 and 9 - who will be tagging along, and who aren't the most adventurous readers.

So, anybody have suggestions for the ultimate foody dinner where children won't be out of place?

Happy early birthday! I've heard that 2941 (Falls Church) is quite good and very accomodating of children. See the post by chowser at the end of this thread: http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/651838

2941's menu looks amazing: http://www.2941.com/menu.php

I'd also recommend Volt in Frederick. The setting is beautiful, the food is delicious, innovative, and well presented, and I think that they could accomodate your sisters.

http://www.voltrestaurant.com/menusdinner.htm

Thanks for the suggestions Lola. Funny you should mention Volt, since it's the place I'd most like to go. However, since my parents are driving all the way down from New Jersey the day of the dinner, subjecting them to an hour drive each way from the restaurant isn't really possible.

As for 2941, I'll have to take a look. Right now the options running through my head are Art and Soul, Proof, and Corduroy, though I've got no idea how kid friendly the latter two are.

Edit: Wow, the $58 4 course option at 2941 looks awesome. I'd order it in a heartbeat.

Thanks for the suggestions Lola. Funny you should mention Volt, since it's the place I'd most like to go. However, since my parents are driving all the way down from New Jersey the day of the dinner, subjecting them to an hour drive each way from the restaurant isn't really possible.

As for 2941, I'll have to take a look. Right now the options running through my head are Art and Soul, Proof, and Corduroy, though I've got no idea how kid friendly the latter two are.

You're welcome. I can understand that another hour's drive to Volt might not be in the cards (from my place in NW DC near AU, it took a little over half an hour to get there. Granted it was a Sunday and there was no traffic. Volt has a parking lot too, so there's no parking hassle like in DC). Anyway, if you don't make it to Volt for your bday, you definitely need to try it another time.

Regarding the other options you mentioned, I've only been to Proof. I really like the menu and the wine selection, but don't know if I'd take kids there (maybe it would be OK for the 13 year-old). About Art & Soul, I've read mixed reviews and don't think the menu is terribly adventurous (although that would probably be good for your sisters). And as for Corduroy, I've read glowing reviews about it. Let us know how you make out.

Of the three, I would pick Corduroy. Art and Souls' s food didn't impress me and I don't think Proof is appropriate for kids. Have you looked into Wolfgang Pucks The Source - Upstairs.

Of the three, I would pick Corduroy. Art and Souls' s food didn't impress me and I don't think Proof is appropriate for kids. Have you looked into Wolfgang Pucks The Source - Upstairs.

I think Proof is totally appropriate for kids, and as much as I love Corduroy, the atmosphere there is much more subdued and I think the kids would enjoy themselves more at Proof. That said, you're probably in for a somewhat higher quality meal - a "foodie experience" as I think you originally put it -- at Corderoy.

[Edit: Wow, the $58 4 course option at 2941 looks awesome. I'd order it in a heartbeat.

Yeah, I thought the same thing. Am VERY curious about 2941. I'm sure you'd do well at Corduroy, but would love a report on 2941.

Let us know how you make out, and have a great bday! :(