Saturday Lunch on the Red Line in DC

smokey

My parents are coming to town and taking a couple out to lunch in DC on Saturday. They're looking for something that is <$50/person, all in. My parents are not big drinkers; I don't know if the other couple is or not, so let's assume no more than two glasses of wine at the table. This can't be adventurous food (translation: no sushi, Indian, SE Asian). Ideally, it will be in downtown-ish DC, even more ideal, close to a Red Line stop.

Lucky me, I've been asked to provide restaurant recs for this affair. I've poked through the restaurant guide here and looked at various menus. Most of the places that seem like vague candidates for this event aren't open for lunch on Saturday. I'm thinking Cafe Du Parc in the Willard is a maybe. Anybody want to give feedback on the general question, or Cafe du Parc specifically?

Any and all advice appreciated.

Cafe du Parc would be a great option.

If they're even less adventurous than that, the Old Ebbitt is good, as well and (towards Gallery Place) the District Chop House is a very pleasant room, with very pleasant service, and reasonably pleasant food. Both offer brunches with some breakfast stuff and some lunch stuff. They're the same as your parents would get at home, only better. Avoid the Clyde's at Gallery Place at all costs.

Towards Navy Memorial, Jaleo is always reliable but may be too avante-garde. I assume that Latin brunch at Atlantico is out of the question, but get them a couple of early cocktails and maybe they'll try the 152 degree (or whatever) eggs with black beans.

And, to be honest, I'm not sure that my father was every happier than eating a bad burger and a bad fries at Harry's.

I say this having taken parents too all of these places except Jaleo and Atlantico (I have the same challenges as you).

I have a request that's very similar on the top line -- red line Saturday lunch -- but with a few other particulars: casual, less expensive, and with low- to no-carb options. Normally I would hit Pizzeria Paradiso with this group but with one out of our four lunchers on the South Beach diet, pizza is not the way to go.

Somewhere between Tenleytown and Farragut North is best. Van Ness would be perfect location-wise but I'm pretty sure there's still not much there to choose from, with the possible exception of Acacia.

Suggestions?

I have a request that's very similar on the top line -- red line Saturday lunch -- but with a few other particulars: casual, less expensive, and with low- to no-carb options. Normally I would hit Pizzeria Paradiso with this group but with one out of our four lunchers on the South Beach diet, pizza is not the way to go.

Somewhere between Tenleytown and Farragut North is best. Van Ness would be perfect location-wise but I'm pretty sure there's still not much there to choose from, with the possible exception of Acacia.

Suggestions?

Casual, not too expensive, w/ low-to no-carb options. I'm thinking Middle Eastern with good veggie options--Lebanese Taverna in Woodley Park (hummus, babba ghannouj, eggplant dishes, etc.), or for super-casual, Fresh Med in Cleveland Park. Indian might work too (Indian Ocean in Van Ness or maybe Indique Heights in Cleveland Park ). There's also Sweetgreen and Chop't in Dupont Circle (ultra-casual for salads and frozen yogurt). All of these places are near metro.

Suggestions?

Heck, I'd just go to Sette or Bistro du Coin. It's not like there's a brilliant Saturday lunch waiting to happen in that part of town. May as well just have fun. There's also Circa on the corner of Connecticut and Q but that place annoys the hell out of me.