Special Night Out

Cooter

So, the wife would like to take me out for my birthday in early December. It will be the second time that we've gone out alone since our little one was born in April. Trouble is that neither of us have been keeping up with what's been happening restaurant-wise. To the extent that we do know what's going on, we are overwhelmed with so many choices! So, what do the Rockweller's recommend? We're open for pretty much anything, but have two druthers that are definitely not requirements, but would be bonuses:

1) NoVa or DC would be easiest.

2) We have a 1981 Bordeaux and/or a relatively subtle Napa Cab that we'd like to drink, but could definitely save for later.

Also, since we've been to these places a few times and would like to try something new, Komi, Eve and CityZen are off the list.

Thanks for the advice!!!!

So, the wife would like to take me out for my birthday in early December. It will be the second time that we've gone out alone since our little one was born in April. Trouble is that neither of us have been keeping up with what's been happening restaurant-wise. To the extent that we do know what's going on, we are overwhelmed with so many choices! So, what do the Rockweller's recommend? We're open for pretty much anything, but have two druthers that are definitely not requirements, but would be bonuses:

1) NoVa or DC would be easiest.

2) We have a 1981 Bordeaux and/or a relatively subtle Napa Cab that we'd like to drink, but could definitely save for later.

Also, since we've been to these places a few times and would like to try something new, Komi, Eve and CityZen are off the list.

Thanks for the advice!!!!

If you want to bring your own wine, that leaves out NoVa.

Which 1981 Bordeaux is it? The vast majority of older wines transported to restaurants are ruined by disturbing the sediment - I strongly advise standing up that bottle for at least two weeks, and then carefully double-decanting it right before you go. To make it look unopened, make sure you shove the cork back in as far as possible.

The Oval Room doesn't have any corkage fees on Saturday nights. :(

If you want to bring your own wine, that leaves out NoVa.

Which 1981 Bordeaux is it? The vast majority of older wines transported to restaurants are ruined by disturbing the sediment - I strongly advise standing up that bottle for at least two weeks, and then carefully double-decanting it right before you go. To make it look unopened, make sure you shove the cork back in as far as possible.

The Oval Room doesn't have any corkage fees on Saturday nights. :(

Thanks, Don. It's a Château Calon-Ségur that was a gift from a friend of my parents upon my daughter's birth. To be honest, I'm not that big a fan of much older wines, although my experience to wines of this age are limited to a Bordeaux well past its prime and a '73 BV George De La Tour, drank in '99, that was pretty terrible.

In any case, I'm thinking that bring a Cab would limit my menu choices so I think that we'll leave our bottles at home. I'll definitely take your advice on preparing the bottle for drinking when we do.

Now I'm thinking Source, Bourbon Steak, Inox, Proof or 2941. Votes welcome!