A New Place to Buy Professional Cookware

johnb

Don has kindly consented to my letting everyone know about a business I've started, that I hope will be of interest to many here in the Rockwell community.

Having been interested in food and cooking for a long time, I have found that true professional cookware, like that made to be sold to restaurants, is generally a good solution compared with expensive consumer brands. It seemed there must be others who feel the same way and would like an easy source for professional cookware and cutlery. So that's what I decided to do.

I have established an internet company called "The Professional Cookware Place." The web address is http://www.profpots.com. I am offering cookware and cutlery that are primarily intended for restaurant use, but focusing on the "home chef" market. The idea is that these professional-grade items are not only well made and will do an excellent job, but are priced better than consumer brands of comparable quality, often a lot better.

Currently the store has cookware by Update, Sitram, and Paderno. All is stainless. The Paderno line is tri-ply, similar to All-Clad, and the Update and Sitram are SS with a sandwich aluminum disk bottom. They are all good value; the Update line is especially well-priced, little if any more than lightweight consumer cookware at Wal-mart. Cutlery is by Victorinox (Forschner), Dexter-Russell (V-lo), and Sanelli (Premana). Again, all are good value and good quality. Most everything is NSF rated, another indicator of good quality and professional-grade. It is a fairly selective product range but I think it covers the essential needs very well. There are also a few utensils and wine accessories and some bakeware. Naturally I hope to expand as developments permit.

I am offering a special 10% off for the grand opening. But for anyone and everyone in the Rockwell community, I will for now go one better and make it 15% OFF; to get that discount, just use the exclusive discount code ROCK15 at checkout.

Please have a look at the web site. I'd be happy to hear your reactions, questions, and any suggestions (e-mail is profpots@gmail.com). And please feel free to forward the information to anyone who you think might be interested. Again, it's http://www.profpots.com . We'll also be "Profpots" on Facebook and Twitter.

John Binkley (johnb)

I just got a Fedex delivery from ProfPots, containing an 8" Sanelli chef's knife and paring knife. I used the chef's for slicing veg for my pot of braised veal cheeks, and so far I like it very much. It is a teeny bit heavier than my Global, and the handle has a rubberized grip, which is somewhat larger than the Global, but still quite comfortable in my hand. I have used some European knives (eg. Wusthof) that are clearly designed for a large male hand to use, but this one feels quite good to me. While not huge, my hands are not tiny, however. YMMV, girls. I saw an episode of Avec Eric the other night, and Chef Ripert was visiting a restaurant in Tuscany--the chef was using one of these Sanelli knives to prepare a wild boar ragu. So it appears to be the real deal--a workhorse professional with a racy green handle, at a great price. I haven't used the paring knife yet, but I've got a sack of pears that will put it to the test in a little while.

I just got a Fedex delivery from ProfPots, containing an 8" Sanelli chef's knife and paring knife. I used the chef's for slicing veg for my pot of braised veal cheeks, and so far I like it very much. It is a teeny bit heavier than my Global, and the handle has a rubberized grip, which is somewhat larger than the Global, but still quite comfortable in my hand. I have used some European knives (eg. Wusthof) that are clearly designed for a large male hand to use, but this one feels quite good to me. While not huge, my hands are not tiny, however. YMMV, girls. I saw an episode of Avec Eric the other night, and Chef Ripert was visiting a restaurant in Tuscany--the chef was using one of these Sanelli knives to prepare a wild boar ragu. So it appears to be the real deal--a workhorse professional with a racy green handle, at a great price. I haven't used the paring knife yet, but I've got a sack of pears that will put it to the test in a little while.

A sack of seckels? (Sorry, couldn't resist.)

Great intel on the Sanelli. And amen on the Wüsthof tendency to design with Goliath in mind.

And amen on the Wüsthof tendency to design with Goliath in mind.

This is getting off topic but. . . really? I have teeny-tiny hands, and the grip on my Wusthof chef's knife doesn't feel uncomfortably large at all. The wood handle on our old Chicago Cutlery knife, which is about a third as large, has always felt way too small. Maybe it's because I was a fencer. :(

This is getting off topic but. . . really? I have teeny-tiny hands, and the grip on my Wusthof chef's knife doesn't feel uncomfortably large at all.

There may be different models, but the Wusthof I tried belonged to one of the young male chefs at BlackSalt, and I found it cumbersome and heavy--after just a short while, I could feel fatigue setting in. Obviously not a problem for those with significant upper body, arm and hand strength. Fencing, you say? After further use of the Sanelli, I can say that I reached for it this morning, rather than using my usual Furi santoku or my Global chef. I like it a lot.