BTW, DC is lacking a great laksa place as well. Had laksa at a janpanese place in chinatown. I have to say it wasn't bad but $12 for a small bowl is just too pricy.

Banana Leaves at Connecticut & Florida does a good chicken curry laksa. But are we talking about the same dish? The laksa I know is a Malaysian dish, not Japanese.

Banana Leaves at Connecticut & Florida does a good chicken curry laksa. But are we talking about the same dish? The laksa I know is a Malaysian dish, not Japanese.

Yes we are talking about the same dish and yes a janpanese place sell it even though it is a malay dish. I seem to remember many korean places that sell janpanese food or is it the other way around?

Anna, I am with you on that. Trying to find a good Laksa at a Japanese place in Chinatown is risky. I tasted two completely different types of Laksa in Malaysia and Indonesia. The two countries share the same malay ethnic cuisine background, to some degree, as well as their languages, bahasa Melayu and bahasa Indonesia.

I ran into sour Assam Laksa in the Highlands through to Penang but just about everywhere else, (i.e Pulau Perhentian, Singapore and most of Indo) it was a version of the curry Laksa. But I only spent 5 or 6 weeks between 2 trips so I could be way wrong on that. The locals type of Assam Laksa can be a real eye opener. It is very sour, and almost fermented in its intensity. The first time I ordered it, the cook looked at me and piled the thick noodles in so full it almost overflowed the bowl. Then I got mouthful and my eyes crossed it was so strongly sour. Of the curried versions, Singapores curry Laksa is spicy and pretty good, tho with the smaller noodles (similar to Penangs Asam Laksa in that way) it looks considerably different from other Assam Laksas. Great in hawker stalls all up and down the peninsula, good but not as great in Indonesia, where food is a bit more problematic.

But are we talking about the same dish? The laksa I know is a Malaysian dish, not Japanese.

Anna, I am with you on that. Trying to find a good Laksa at a Japanese place in Chinatown is risky. I tasted two completely different types of Laksa in Malaysia and Indonesia. The two countries share the same malay ethnic cuisine background, to some degree, as well as their languages, bahasa Melayu and bahasa Indonesia.

I ran into sour Assam Laksa in the Highlands through to Penang but just about everywhere else, (i.e Pulau Perhentian, Singapore and most of Indo) it was a version of the curry Laksa. But I only spent 5 or 6 weeks between 2 trips so I could be way wrong on that. The locals type of Assam Laksa can be a real eye opener. It is very sour, and almost fermented in its intensity. The first time I ordered it, the cook looked at me and piled the thick noodles in so full it almost overflowed the bowl. Then I got mouthful and my eyes crossed it was so strongly sour. Of the curried versions, Singapores curry Laksa is spicy and pretty good, tho with the smaller noodles (similar to Penangs Asam Laksa in that way) it looks considerably different from other Assam Laksas. Great in hawker stalls all up and down the peninsula, good but not as great in Indonesia, where food is a bit more problematic.

There is a third kind of laksa that my husband and I love. It's Sarawak Laksa. Had it while in Kuching two years ago and really would love to have some again without having to travel halfway around the world. It's not sour like Assam and isn't curry based. It's more of a spicy broth. Now if anyone knew where we could find that in the area, I'd be a happy girl.

Biscuit Girl, I just read about that version; coconut milk, spicy red broth, fried egg strips, prawns.... Sign me up! I want some too! I have never been to Sarawak, yet another reason to go back to Indo...

There is a third kind of laksa that my husband and I love. It's Sarawak Laksa. Had it while in Kuching two years ago and really would love to have some again without having to travel halfway around the world. It's not sour like Assam and isn't curry based. It's more of a spicy broth. Now if anyone knew where we could find that in the area, I'd be a happy girl.

Biscuit Girl, I just read about that version; coconut milk, spicy red broth, fried egg strips, prawns.... Sign me up! I want some too! I have never been to Sarawak, yet another reason to go back to Indo...

Here's a link to my blog on our trip to Malaysia You'll find a Sarawak Laksa picture of sarawak laksa that we enjoyed one morning while in Kuching.