Hot Breads, an India-Based Franchise Operation

Yet another reason to appreciate the Kentlands Lowe's, where I can at least dash around the corner for a curry puff from Hot Breads.

Hot Breads has continued to expand their Indian food selection to the point that it's now solidly more interesting than the western-style cakes and breads on offer. In particular, there's now a choice of seven kinds of chaat, four varieties of kati rolls, and a brief Indo-Chinese menu...and almost everything is under $5. They also offer an assortment of popular standards - several biriyanis, butter chicken, and mutter paneer.

What elevates this place above hole-in-the-wall status for me is that the spice levels are pretty strong, more akin to what I taste at the homes of Indian friends than at most Indian restaurants. It's a family-owned place, and that probably gives them the freedom to keep it authentic. The samosas were pleasantly non-greasy, and the filling had a steady undercurrent of chilies. Curry puffs were still absurdly puffy - basically a tall apple turnover with a filling substitution - and again relatively strongly spiced.

If you need a quick and cheap bite in the Kentlands area, this one is worth checking out. Hidden in the Lowe's complex, around the corner and past the Elizabeth Arden Red Door Salon.

Hot Breads has continued to expand their Indian food selection to the point that it's now solidly more interesting than the western-style cakes and breads on offer. In particular, there's now a choice of seven kinds of chaat, four varieties of kati rolls, and a brief Indo-Chinese menu...and almost everything is under $5. They also offer an assortment of popular standards - several biriyanis, butter chicken, and mutter paneer.

What elevates this place above hole-in-the-wall status for me is that the spice levels are pretty strong, more akin to what I taste at the homes of Indian friends than at most Indian restaurants. It's a family-owned place, and that probably gives them the freedom to keep it authentic. The samosas were pleasantly non-greasy, and the filling had a steady undercurrent of chilies. Curry puffs were still absurdly puffy - basically a tall apple turnover with a filling substitution - and again relatively strongly spiced.

If you need a quick and cheap bite in the Kentlands area, this one is worth checking out. Hidden in the Lowe's complex, around the corner and past the Elizabeth Arden Red Door Salon.

there are ones in chantilly, herndon and alexandria as well.