Vegetarian Dinner in DC

olivelady

I have a vegetarian friend coming to visit DC for the weekend. We are planning to meet for dinner and, I am in search of vegetarian-friendly restaurants. My first thought is Teaism in Penn Quarter since it is relatively quiet. Are there other options that I should consider?

I have a vegetarian friend coming to visit DC for the weekend. We are planning to meet for dinner and, I am in search of vegetarian-friendly restaurants. My first thought is Teaism in Penn Quarter since it is relatively quiet. Are there other options that I should consider?

As others chime in, you might want to also check this thread.

I have found that most restaurants in DC are vegetarian-friendly...meaning there are often a few veggie appetizers and one vegetarian entree on the printed menu. Is there a particular neighborhood, price range, or style of cuisine you are looking for, or just "veggie-friendly and relatively quiet"? I personally am a sucker for the gnocchi at Proof, which is always vegetarian, although it is not a quiet restaurant.

Vastly different in expense and atmosphere than Teaism, but I had a sufficiently tasty crepes stuffed with summer vegetables at Poste to recommend that establishment as a vegetarian-friendly destination, if you wish to slide upscale a bit. Aside from that dish, Poste seemed to pay enough attention to plant food that I mentally clicked them off as the kind of spot that takes this type of communist culinary preference seriously. Carnivores should look very seriously at the capretto (goat).

I always find the vegetarian entrees taste superior to meat entrees in Indian restaurant. Go to Rasika and get some palak chaat, a couple of vegetarian entrees (only $12 for entree size and $7 for smaller portions), and some garlic naan. Its not very expensive if you only choose vegetarian dishes.