Bethesda Bar Help, January 21st 2011

AlexC

Five or six of us are meeting for drinks in Bethesda tonight. I'd love to go somewhere more casual than Blacks, more interesting than the Clyde's in Friendship and less horrible than, uh, Caddy's. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

May be helpful:

Thread on good bars near the Bethesda Metro

Thread on quieter bars in Bethesda

General Dining in Bethesda thread

Mussel Bar

Jaleo

American Tap Room

We stopped by American Tap Room -- crappy domestic beers, room felt somewhere between Bennigan's and Clyde's, we had a beer a left. Plus, it was packed, so maybe I am not the best judge of bar quality.

Then we went to Mussel Bar -- much cooler space and more interesting crowd, way better beers, we stayed there for a few hours. My only complaint was some of the beer prices were laughable... $15 for a small bottle of Gouden Carolus? $14 for a Gulden Draak? Seemed steep to me. Perhaps I'm just spoiled by Churchkey.

We stopped by American Tap Room -- crappy domestic beers, room felt somewhere between Bennigan's and Clyde's, we had a beer a left. Plus, it was packed, so maybe I am not the best judge of bar quality.

Then we went to Mussel Bar -- much cooler space and more interesting crowd, way better beers, we stayed there for a few hours. My only complaint was some of the beer prices were laughable... $15 for a small bottle of Gouden Carolus? $14 for a Gulden Draak? Seemed steep to me. Perhaps I'm just spoiled by Churchkey.

Beer list on-line looked like it offered more than your typical domestics.

http://www.americantaproom.com/assets/files/Bethesda_BeverageMenu_11-22_Web.pdf

Agree with you the pricing of some beers at Mussel Bar.