Making Kimchi

Tweaked

hmmm, ok, if I can't find this I will blame you!

Okay! But for some reason, I keep thinking "well, you can't miss those little beady eyes looking at you, can't ya?" (This, of course, is why I have a hard time eating shrimp with heads or using dried shrimp these days...)

Okay! But for some reason, I keep thinking "well, you can't miss those little beady eyes looking at you, can't ya?" (This, of course, is why I have a hard time eating shrimp with heads or using dried shrimp these days...)

I think they look kinda cute with their beady briney goodness!

I would like to attempt David Chang's Napa Cabbage Kimchi recipe (http://www.koreanbeacon.com/2009/10/26/make-david-changs-napa-cabbage-kimchi/).

You'll have to report back how this works out! I lived in Korea years ago and learned there to appreciate and love kimchi. Chang's two weeks to "prime" time is interesting given the history though. This from Wikipedia:

"Traditionally, the greatest varieties of kimchi were available during the winter. In preparation for the long winter months, many types of kimjang kimchi (hangul: 김장 김치) were prepared in early winter and stored in the ground in large kimchi pots."

Yeah, yeah, I know. Refrigeration shimidgeration.... :)

I would like to attempt David Chang's Napa Cabbage Kimchi recipe (http://www.koreanbeacon.com/2009/10/26/make-david-changs-napa-cabbage-kimchi/).

Can someone explain the jarred salted shrimp that the recipe calls for?

If I went to H-Mart want would I be looking for? Name/brand...even a photo of the product would be nice! :)

Recommending one's own blog is so crass but I regularly make the Momofuku cookbook kimchi and wrote about it once. I'm sharing mostly so you can see the photos and descriptions of the specialized ingredients: http://www.arleneton.com/blog/?p=302. I got them at H-Mart and the korean chile powder and jarred shrimp were right next to each other in a refrigerated section.

Recommending one's own blog is so crass but I regularly make the Momofuku cookbook kimchi and wrote about it once. I'm sharing mostly so you can see the photos and descriptions of the specialized ingredients: http://www.arleneton.com/blog/?p=302. I got them at H-Mart and the korean chile powder and jarred shrimp were right next to each other in a refrigerated section.

Nothing crass about it! Thanks for linking to your blog...that is a very helpful posting!

Can someone explain the jarred salted shrimp that the recipe calls for?

If I went to H-Mart want would I be looking for? Name/brand...even a photo of the product would be nice! :)

If you get advanterous and want to tweak the recipe a bit, try going with raw oysters (gul jut) instead of the pickled shrimp (sawoo jut). I love oyster kimchi.

Although I am not an expert kimchi maker, I've made it enough times to have some opinions. Ingredients matter (I know it is an obivous point). Pick really heavy napa cabbage. For the fish sauce, I actually like the 3 crabs version vs. the korean products. As for the pepper flakes you will see bunch of different grinds. Don't get the fine grind. I was actually surprised that this mattered but it does (don't know why). I get a medium/course. Note, most koreans want their pepper flakes that was made in korea vs. china. Most koreans seemed to believe that chinese product has a lot of peticide (not sure that's true).

On the kochugaru (pepper flakes), my parent claim that if imparts a redish color on your cutting board, it has pigments added. Anyone know it its true. They actually gone to making their own kochugaru and let me say it looks nothing like the store bought. Not as red, more hot and kimchi is less red then the stuff you probably have seen. Not sure I taste the difference but it doesn't leave red coloring on my cutting board when I cut the kimchi. I've tried different brands from H mart and they all leave a redish stain on my cutting board.

Soup

BTW, if you ever want to buy kimchi, the best version is at the rainbow catering next to the paris bakery in annandale. Cost a bit more but every single korean we serve it to says exactly the same thing.

BTW, if you ever want to buy kimchi, the best version is at the rainbow catering next to the paris bakery in annandale. Cost a bit more but every single korean we serve it to says exactly the same thing.

Why did you want to tell everybody? Now we'll have to wait around while the mee-guks try to figure out what to do with all the kimchi (glad you didn't say anything about buying it from Gom Ba Woo).