White House Meats

AlexC

I participated in a "Meat Draft" last Saturday. Over the course of two+ hours, 12 people picked over the vacuum-sealed parts of an entire cow and selected their portions one-by-one, in the familiar snack draft style. Picking tenth, I missed out on the porterhouses and both briskets, but I have no complaints. Beer and snacks were provided.

The meat is very high quality -- locally raised and dry-aged three weeks. Though I'd probably opt for a box instead of going through the rather lengthy draft again, I'll definitely head back to this supplier.

The people that run this show are very fun, very nice, and very passionate about their products.

http://www.whitehousemeats.com/

I participated in a "Meat Draft" last Saturday. Over the course of two+ hours, 12 people picked over the vacuum-sealed parts of an entire cow and selected their portions one-by-one, in the familiar snack draft style. Picking tenth, I missed out on the porterhouses and both briskets, but I have no complaints. Beer and snacks were provided.

The meat is very high quality -- locally raised and dry-aged three weeks. Though I'd probably opt for a box instead of going through the rather lengthy draft again, I'll definitely head back to this supplier.

The people that run this show are very fun, very nice, and very passionate about their products.

http://www.whitehousemeats.com/

Thanks for the info. Picking 10th what did you end up with?

eta: rif

Thanks for the info. Picking 10th what did you end up with?

I split my share of the draft with a friend, so we tried to pick in such a way that things divided evenly. He's got a family to feed, I don't, so that was another factor.

Round-by-Round

1: 2-pack of rib steaks, 1.7 lbs. These were two big awesome steaks, not labeled as ribeyes but based on their relative size that's what they were.

2: 2-pack of rib steaks, 1.3 lbs. Frankly, these were also big and awesome-looking, and this is where the value was on a per-pound basis.

3: Pack of Tip Steaks, 2+ lbs: I dunno what my friend is gonna do with these, it'll be dinner for four.

4: Short Ribs: These were 2+ lbs of short ribs, they looked really good, and my jury-rigged homemade sous vide kit (sorry don) makes cooking these really easy.

5: Short Ribs: See above.

5: Rump Roast, 3lbs: Another family meal, but they prepared a simple top round roast for us to snack on during the draft, and it was so delicious that this may have been a late-round steal.

6: Oxtail. My korean girlfriend insisted I get the oxtail. Good thing I did. It was very small, but looked great.

7: Flat Iron Steak: About .6 lbs. Looked great, especially for the last pick.

After everyone picked, they filled us up from the 14ish lbs we drafted up to 21 lbs by distributing 1 lb packets of ground meat. Total cost was $9.80 per pound, and I ended up paying $93 for my half, which was one of the packs of steaks, both of the short ribs, the oxtail, and four packs of ground. Not the best deal, but the quality of the meat is so high, the experience was fun, and my friend who I split the draft with did (I think) a little better value-wise.

Anyway, like I said, next time I'll do the box, but the meat draft was lots of fun.

Alex

My husband really dislikes having to freeze high quality meats since it does diminish the taste, but I'm really curious and want to try this out! Definitely let us know when you've had a chance to prepare some of your meat stash, and report back on the quality! The meat is already frozen when you pick it, right?

I met Jon Wrinn and Seth Cooper, the owners, at the underground farmers' market a few weeks ago. They were selling individual packages of meat and I am kicking myself now for not buying any. The meat draft sounds like a great idea but since I'm buying for one it is more meat than eat in a year. I'm hoping they come up with a way for people to buy their stuff without having to go through the draft.

I met Jon Wrinn and Seth Cooper, the owners, at the underground farmers' market a few weeks ago. They were selling individual packages of meat and I am kicking myself now for not buying any. The meat draft sounds like a great idea but since I'm buying for one it is more meat than eat in a year. I'm hoping they come up with a way for people to buy their stuff without having to go through the draft.

I need a freezer so I can do this. It sounds like fun...

According to their web site you can buy a box and split it with other folks if you don't want the entire thing.

To respond to a few of the questions on this thread...

- The meat is frozen solid

- They offer boxes for sale on the website, but also had individual items for sale at the "Meat Up" and were at the Gray Market thing at Kushi a few weeks ago, so they may be at farmer's markets as well.

Alex