Dates

zoramargolis

I don't like dates

The only reason I can imagine anyone saying this, is that they have only eaten old, dry deglet noor dates. Having grown up in Southern California, I have had the opportunity to taste several varieties of fresh dates that never make it here, because they are too fragile to ship. Medjool is the one variety that we can get in the East that is softer, plumper and more flavorful, with hints of caramel and vanilla, than the ubiquitous deglet noors, which are chewy and tasteless. But when I am in L.A. I go to the Santa Monica farmers' market looking for barhi dates, brought up from the Imperial Valley, where the dates are all grown. Barhis are round, about the size of a big Globe grape, and so tender that they deliquesce the moment they are in your mouth, The flavor is ambrosial, complex, almost floral with hints of caramelized sugar and orange blossom honey. Seriously, Hillv, you need to make a salad with greens, citrus, almonds, slices of Medjool date and make a mild vinaigrette with a few drops of orange blossom water in it, and be prepared to give up your date dislike.

And then, there's sticky toffee pudding, which derives it's sticky-toffyness from chopped up and hot water-plumped dates.

The only reason I can imagine anyone saying this, is that they have only eaten old, dry deglet noor dates. Having grown up in Southern California, I have had the opportunity to taste several varieties of fresh dates that never make it here, because they are too fragile to ship. Medjool is the one variety that we can get in the East that is softer, plumper and more flavorful, with hints of caramel and vanilla, than the ubiquitous deglet noors, which are chewy and tasteless. But when I am in L.A. I go to the Santa Monica farmers' market looking for barhi dates, brought up from the Imperial Valley, where the dates are all grown. Barhis are round, about the size of a big Globe grape, and so tender that they deliquesce the moment they are in your mouth, The flavor is ambrosial, complex, almost floral with hints of caramelized sugar and orange blossom honey. Seriously, Hillv, you need to make a salad with greens, citrus, almonds, slices of Medjool date and make a mild vinaigrette with a few drops of orange blossom water in it, and be prepared to give up your date dislike.

And then, there's sticky toffee pudding, which derives it's sticky-toffyness from chopped up and hot water-plumped dates.

Absolutely! I did not realize the variety available until I was in San Fran. The dates available at the Ferry Plaza Farmer's Market were incredible!

Sorry Zora, but I seriously don't like dates whether they are freshly picked off a tree or the dried version we get around here. You're making assumptions and well, you now what happens when you assume. (And I don't think you're making an ass of me :D ) It doesn't get fresher than standing next to the tree and picking the date (which weren't majool) yourself. Didn't do it for me.

Of course, I don't believe that people don't like natto until they have had expertly prepared natto, so what do I know?

You eat your dates, I'll eat my natto and we'll both be happy.

And Don, find me a date that is worthy and we'll talk B)

Sorry Zora, but I seriously don't like dates whether they are freshly picked off a tree or the dried version we get around here. You're making assumptions and well, you now what happens when you assume. (And I don't think you're making an ass of me :D ) It doesn't get fresher than standing next to the tree and picking the date (which weren't majool) yourself. Didn't do it for me.

Of course, I don't believe that people don't like natto until they have had expertly prepared natto, so what do I know?

You eat your dates, I'll eat my natto and we'll both be happy.

And Don, find me a date that is worthy and we'll talk B)

I actually don't much like fresh-picked dates either. I don't remember what the curing process involves, but it's a different fruit afterward-- it goes from yellow-waxy and almost crisp to brown, gooey, soft and yummy. But I do like natto, so I don't want to give that all to you.

Seriously, I should make sticky toffee pudding for you sometime.