Maiwand Kabob, Afghan in Five Locations

On 2/13/2007 at 6:08 PM, synaesthesia said:

It's been a while since I've been here, but this place had some great kabobs and pumpkin. I don't know if this is connected to the Maiwand Kabob in Columbia, but this is near Cuba de Ayer.

I LOVE the one in Columbia!!!!

That HAS to be the best cheap eats here in town (Columbia). I always get the chicken extra spicy and with extra spinach.

I LOVE the one in Columbia!!!!

That HAS to be the best cheap eats here in town (Columbia). I always get the chicken extra spicy and with extra spinach.

Which chicken do you get extra spicy?? The kabob? (I've only tried the kabobs....chicken, beef, and kofta, all good!)

Which chicken do you get extra spicy?? The kabob?

Yes, the kabob. You can request it spicier than it's usually prepared. Just tell them the level of spiciness you would like

I've only tried the kabobs....chicken, beef, and kofta, all good!

It IS all good! For my wife and I, I'll usually pick up a chicken kabob platter for each us and then get the vegetarian platter, as well, for extras and leftovers. The pumpkin, potatoes, and spinach are all fantastic. If I have some leftover chicken pieces, I'll mix it with some mayo and a splash of lemon juice (the other spices are already supplied by the kabob) and eat it as chicken salad for lunch the next day with the bread that they provide.

I haven't been here in years but went to the last page of the Baltimore forum like Don wanted people to do in the DC one and I just wanted to say that I really, really miss working just around the corner from the one in Columbia. Next time I'm in town around mealtime by myself I'm gonna try and make a detour and be gluttonous.

Maiwand Kabob is a great one to pull off the back page because it is still delicious after all these years. Still love the kabobs, but the side dishes actually make thing place one of the best in Howard County. Order the pumpkin appetizer. Order the mantwo appetizer. Order the bread.

Word is that they're opening a new location near the Target on Rte 175. It's mentioned on the Maiwand Kabob Web site, but I don't know the timing.

Is it possible to find afghan food in a non-descript office building in the "hotel district" of BWI...why yes it is.

We weren't really expecting to find anything of note in the general area of the Hampton Inn BWI, options seemed to be mostly McDonald's and Chili's. At the front desk the handy list of area restaurants (with staff recommendations no less) directed us to Maiwand located in the office building next door.

The restaurant can't be called charming...it's basically a small step up from a fast food restaurant decor wise with a couple National Geographic posters on the wall. But the food...surprisingly good.

Two very flavorable kafta kabob, large piece of naan, some somewhat oily rice, and a pile of lettuce set me back about $10...but worth the money. They also had a steam table of what looked to be mostly veg options but didn't sample anything.

If this place was in my neighborhood it would make the weekly rotation...a good find for anyone stuck in the BWI area.