Super H finds...

Soup

Went to Super H today (one in Annandale). Hadn't been to that local in a couple of months but there were few interesting things...

1. On site butcher.... There was a guy basically at a make shift station (table in the meat section) butchering a whole hog. It said it was killed yesterday and that it was about as fresh as I could find. It looked good. Got a sholder and the hocks. Let you know how there are.

2. Great lunch deal... Never seen this there. Boxed lunch for $5. Mine came with purple rice, kimchi, bean sprout, grilled pork (it was more than I could eat) and soup. What a find. I will go back just for that.

3. They had a variety of watermelon (lady called it korean) but I actually had not seen it since I was very young and in korea. Round, very deep green with seeds. I hope it is as good as I remember. $3.

Soup

This just reminds me how much I was hoping for a grocery store like this to open up near me-closest is el grande, off Backlick, then this H-mart. Instead, I got a Bestway- it's an alternative to the Safeway (I mostly shop at the Belvoir commissary) but the produce, while inexpensive, has a tendency to turn quickly. it's better than nothing, now if they had only put in a decent restaurant, instead of a 24 hr. Laundromat in the vacant building around the corner....

Went to Super H today (one in Annandale). Hadn't been to that local in a couple of months but there were few interesting things...

I was at this market on Friday at lunch time, did not see the pig, probably it's for the third anniversary celebration? I prefer the Super H in Fairfax because it's bigger, not so crowded, more stuff, but the Annandale one is midway between my house and my office, so I go there more often. They often have ladies preparing food and handing out free samples, which I gratefully ate in lieu of getting lunch.

Now that I have given up dairy and wheat, Asian cuisine has become a good source for non-dairy food, although the sauces are not usually gluten free. I have to read the labels carefully and sometimes they are very sketchy. And I have no idea what the prepared food is just by looking at it, and nobody speaks English except the customers and some of the managers. The workers are either Korean or Hispanic.

I would love to organize a trip to a Korean grocery store with some Koreans who would explain what everything is and the mysteries of Korean cuisine. Probably should make this a new topic, or maybe one already exists.

I would love to organize a trip to a Korean grocery store with some Koreans who would explain what everything is and the mysteries of Korean cuisine. Probably should make this a new topic, or maybe one already exists.

At one time, Grover did this on a somewhat regular basis. I believe a forum already exists for this but, if you send her a PM, she will answer (I'd have her answer now but she's not home :mellow:).

1. On site butcher.... There was a guy basically at a make shift station (table in the meat section) butchering a whole hog. It said it was killed yesterday and that it was about as fresh as I could find. It looked good. Got a sholder and the hocks. Let you know how there are.

2. Great lunch deal... Never seen this there. Boxed lunch for $5. Mine came with purple rice, kimchi, bean sprout, grilled pork (it was more than I could eat) and soup. What a find. I will go back just for that.

3. They had a variety of watermelon (lady called it korean) but I actually had not seen it since I was very young and in korea. Round, very deep green with seeds. I hope it is as good as I remember. $3.

Soup

Are the pigs locally raised or just the normal supermarket CAFO animals?

Are the pigs locally raised or just the normal supermarket CAFO animals?

The guys said all the right things (i.e., it came from farm X in va) but who knows. I just think its pretty neat to see a the butchering process. Most of the meat I buy comes cryovaced or wrapped in plastic. I think it one of the reasons I like to go to the lebenese butcher (aside from great meat).

Hyuk