Nickell's & Scheffler, Old Town Alexandria - Closed

I'm surprised that there isn't a thread for this tasty little spot. Nickell's & Scheffler has been holding down the southeast corner of King and Henry Street for quite a while. I confess that I haven't been in for many years, but stopped in for lunch today - my next visit will be a lot sooner. I enjoyed a generous slice of a creamy, custardy savory tart with corn and tomatoes, along with a side of farmer's market tomato and mozzarella salad, for about $9. Some may have found the tart lacking a bit of seasoning, but I appreciated being able to add salt and pepper to my taste.

The daily menu offered lots of seasonal, market produce used in creative presentations, with gluten-free options identified. The sandwich board features ham, turkey, and beef - all roasted in-house. The husband and wife who run the place are both CIA grads who have made a second career cooking up some pretty delicious food for folks in Old Town.

And yet another closure on King Street - Nickels & Scheffler closed their doors on June 9 according to a post on their website.

There are signs on the door saying "Coming Soon - Lori's Table" or maybe it's "Lori's Place", as according to this article from the Old Town Patch a transition has been in the works for a few months. Gary's wish above may come true: later hours (until 10 pm) are mentioned in the article.