Simple dishes where the ingredients shine

I feel like you hear that catchphrase or something similar so often it's becoming meaningless, but every once in a while I make a dish that is so simple and yet incredibly delicious that it absolutely reinforces why I source my food locally.

Tonight I had one of those dishes, which came from my newest cookbook, Cooking in the Moment: A Year of Seasonal Recipes from Andrea Reusing. The dish was simply green garlic (I used garlic scapes because that's what I had) sauteed in butter for a few minutes, then add fresh peas and saute until just tender, finish by adding butter lettuce (washed and torn into pieces; I used mixed greens again because that's what I had) and a little more butter and tossed until the greens wilted.

The scapes, greens (a mix of leaf lettuces mostly), and the peas (freshly shelled tonight) were all from my CSA. I had meant to save half for tomorrow evening, but it was so good and I knew it wouldn't be nearly as good reheated that I ate it all. It was one of those moment's where you can't fathom how 4 simple ingredients can produce something so freaking good. Life's simple pleasures. :)

Curious what dishes you all have made that have done the same for you?

So far, my CSA veggies sauteed with cumin has been the winner. The first week I received lots of beets and turnips, so I sauteed them with cumin and coriander and added mint for a beet salad. The next week I made cumin-braised swiss chard but added squash, zucchini, and garlic scapes. I wouldn't have touched any of those veggies as a kid, but add cumin and I would have. I now know how I will get my kids to eat veggies one day!

When tomato season kicks in we do a lot of bread/tomato salad.

Use couple day old bread and cut into small cubes (can grill or toast bread if you like)

add sungold tomatoes (slice tomatoes in half)

add some chopped/sliced red onion

add a couple of glugs of good olive oil

add a splash of red wine viengar and a spritz of lemon juice

salt/pepper to taste

top with basil.

mix and enjoy

When tomato season kicks in we do a lot of bread/tomato salad.

Use couple day old bread and cut into small cubes (can grill or toast bread if you like)

add sungold tomatoes (slice tomatoes in half)

add some chopped/sliced red onion

add a couple of glugs of good olive oil

add a splash of red wine viengar and a spritz of lemon juice

salt/pepper to taste

top with basil.

mix and enjoy

Panzanella! I like to add cucumber chunks, so that onion is not the only crunchy element, once the bread has absorbed the tomato juices and oil and vinegar.