Dining in Concord-Charlotte, NC

porcupine

There was a decent BBQ place on the main drag in Concord but I'm not sure it's still there. Armentrout's. It was on Rt 49, in the city of Concord. (It was about 2 blocks from the video store my father opened after he retired, so I have good memories of Concord). The infield course at CMS is flat and (depending on how they set it up) either a curvy break from the high banked curves or a boring bit of cone dodging. (Incidentally, if you get an Audi A6 up to around 125 mph, you can actually get pretty high up on the corners).

Sunday morning, the track is closed until noon, the best coffee I can find is the Starbucks "proudly" brewed here at the hotel bistro, and I'm thinking about all the restaurants I've seen around here: Ruby Tuesday, Texas Land and Cattle, Quaker Steak and Lube, Hooters, Carraba's Italian Grill, Olive Garden, Cracker Barrel, Texas Roadhouse, Sonic, Zaxby's, Five Guys, Cookout, Sonny's Real Pit BBQ, Subway, Quizno's, Cinco de Mayo Grill, On the Border, Sticky Fingers Smokehouse... We're in the Other America, the one where Bigger is Better. The one I try to forget about.

We had dinner at Camilla's Grill, a place that looked like a stereotypical Mexican Food is All About the Partying place, which had the virtue of being something we'd never heard of before. Since it appeared to be an independant, I had hope. But I think they mostly aspired to make money in the Cinco de Mayo/On the Border model. The single waiter on duty could not approach or depart the table without apologizing for something. But for all that the food wasn't too bad.

Dinner Thursday was at Lexington Barbecue #1, forty minutes north. Real Lexington style, as they claim: just pork, not basted as it smokes, chopped, vinegar sauce on the side. Pretty good hush puppies, too.