Chiles de Arbol

EdSz

I just received "Sunday Suppers at Lucques : Seasonal Recipes from Market to Table" for Christmas. One ingredient that turns up in many recipes is chiles de arbol. Could not find them at several local markets. Are they generally dried or fresh? Are there reasonable substitutes?

Thanks for the help.

PS The recipes appear interesting but loaded with oil and butter.

I just received "Sunday Suppers at Lucques : Seasonal Recipes from Market to Table" for Christmas.  One ingredient that turns up in many recipes is chiles de arbol.  Could not find them at several local markets.  Are they generally dried or fresh?  Are there reasonable substitutes?

Thanks for the help.

I am sure that you can find them at one of the many Latino markets in the area, but if not click here.

As long as we are on the subject of chiles, does anyone know the name for a chipotle chile when it is dried? I am pretty sure it is a different name.

You can get big bags of arbol chilies at Grand Mart in the 'burbs. Very cheap.

Edit- jm chen answered the question.

Edited by cjsadler

Dean dn Deluca had 'em. Pretty sure I've seen 'em at Whole Foods, too.

As long as we are on the subject of chiles, does anyone know the name for a chipotle chile when it is dried? I am pretty sure it is a different name.

chiles moras ? (source: Diane Kennedy)

I just received "Sunday Suppers at Lucques : Seasonal Recipes from Market to Table" for Christmas.  One ingredient that turns up in many recipes is chiles de arbol.  Could not find them at several local markets.  Are they generally dried or fresh?  Are there reasonable substitutes?

Thanks for the help.

If you live in the middle of the city, Todito's on Columbia Road (at Biltmore) has them in large, 3 oz. packages for $1.99. (They are dried).