Eater: Fall Cookbook Preview (In Two Parts)

Tweaked

Yes, "Jerusalem" may be the one to tip me over the edge (although Burma: Rivers of Flavor & Charles Phan's Vietnamese Home Cooking also are tempting), also looking at "The Naked Brewer", because after starting to clean out my garage this weekend, & realizing how much home brewing gear I have that has been neglected, I thought about starting up again...My sister asks me why I keep buying cookbooks, 'because it's all available online', she doesn't understand how much different an actual printed book is to me...

I read them like novels when I go to bed, does that make me an addict?

Yes!

The Burma cookbook is beautiful. Gave it a good once over last night, lots of lovely photos. Lots of vegetable friendly recipes, the section on salads, an area where Burmese cooking apparently excels, is like 40 pages long. The recipes seem to be very approachable: not particularly heavy on hard to find obscure ingredients like some Asian cuisine...ie: you won't be hunting around an Asian supermarket trying to figure if this jar is the same stuff as the stuff called for in a cookbook (although I kinda love doing that too!). Hope to test out some of the recipes this weekend.

I had a Burmese tea salad at a hole in the wall Burmese restaurant in Cambodia, run by refugees. It was $1. Although it was over a year ago, I still dream of this salad. If there is a recipe for it in the book you should try it right away!

They have this dish at Burma Road in Gaithersburg; does this sound like it? Of course here it's $6.50...

Pickled tea-leaf served with sesame seeds, fried garlic and roasted peanuts. A must have dish in Burma

I had a Burmese tea salad at a hole in the wall Burmese restaurant in Cambodia, run by refugees. It was $1. Although it was over a year ago, I still dream of this salad. If there is a recipe for it in the book you should try it right away!

There is indeed a tea leaf salad in the book...I looked at it quickly, apparently you need to source pickled tea leaves.

They have this dish at Burma Road in Gaithersburg; does this sound like it? Of course here it's $6.50...

Pickled Tea Leaf Salad

Pickled tea-leaf served with sesame seeds, fried garlic and roasted peanuts. A must have dish in Burma

That's it! I can count on one hand the number of times I have passed through Gaithersburg in the last 10 years living here, but next time I do I am stopping!