Not-too-Crowded Bar in Clarendon on Friday Night

beachgirl54

Probably a ridiculous question but have the (rare) opportunity to meet friends for sort-of happy hour, like 6:30 - 7 pm this Friday. I suggested Screwtop or Odd Bar/Eventide but us oldsters don't want to be anywhere too loud or crowded. I like both these places but how crowded (and young) do they get on a Friday night?

If not one of these places, I'm open to suggestions. Good beers a plus. Thanks, Nancy

Well, it's really variable. i've noticed that it takes a little while for everyone to get home and hit the bars in Clarendon so you may be fine at 6:30 but getting more crowded as the night goes on. But Screwtop may already be crowded at that time on a Fri. Odd bar would be my suggestion. Sometimes they're slower to get started, and the crowd's not too young. (We took my mother in law to Odd Bar over the holidays!) Green Pig is not too loud but the bar area will likely be crowded by then though if you happen to be walking by to Screwtop you can check. Fuego is another suggestion - they can get crowded but their bar is spacious enough that I havent felt so clausterphobic when it's crowded as I have at other bars.

Yep, agree with Cheezepowder. Might add Lyon Hall or Liberty Tavern, but by 6:30p, as it'll probably fill up around that time. Another option is the upstairs of Northside Social, where they open their wine bar at 5:00pm. Cava might be another thought, but sometimes, I'll venture to the high tops at Cheesecake Factory if my dining companions aren't so particular.

Beerwise, I'd stick to NS, LH, LT or Green Pig.

Cheez - sorry for delay in posting, see my other post and you'll see why . . .

We did end up at Screwtop. While there was a wait, the staff is so exceedingly nice, we didn't mind. When I told the hostess that one of the party needed to eat asap (no lunch and cranky), she brought her some truffle popcorn and a couple of slices of cheese without us asking. The wines were good (don't remember), the crowd civilized, the food fresh and tasty, and we had a great time catching up.

I did find out, in hindsight, that we could have made a reservation because we had a larger party. Lesson learned . . .

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.