Rewards Network, fka iDine, fka Transmedia

ol_ironstomach

United is again pushing their frequent flyer miles dining program, which ultimately leads back to Rewards Network, which operates United's membership dining rewards program as well as practically everybody else's in the US. They've been at it for nearly 30 years, and reported 2011 in-network spending to the staggering tune of $723 million. All of it dining.

What is interesting to note, and I don't know if they've done this all along, is that lately the emphasis seems to be on the optional post-dining review mechanism, which seems to be a requirement for the current bonus air miles campaign. I'm tempted to interpret this as a push to Big Data-ize the performance and marketing analysis services they sell to member restaurants.

Wikipedia reports that by 2000, Rewards Network was the world's largest "dining rewards" program. Maybe they still are, but I wonder if they're not scrambling to stay relevant in an age when the upstart group deals site memberships are well into an order of magnitude larger. The casualties are already out there: American Express used to participate in RN's iDine program, but dumped it in favor of upstart DinnerBroker.com, which flamed out 2011 after a decade of operations.

I remember the Transmedia card from the 1990s. I also remember a piece from that era in the Washington Post about how Chefs and owners would get in trouble with it. Transmedia would offer lots of money up front and then the Chefs/Owners would need to work off it off via the discounted meals. And then they would need more cash and get in deeper and deeper. I remember Roberto Donna was one of the examples of chefs who mismanged their relationships with Transmedia.

I also remember quite liking it back in the day.

I did sign up for the FRN card to get discounted gas at Shell. I've only managed to eat at one in network place and that was by accident when I was in St.L for work. I think I'm $20 away from discounted gas.

I remember the Transmedia card from the 1990s. I also remember a piece from that era in the Washington Post about how Chefs and owners would get in trouble with it. Transmedia would offer lots of money up front and then the Chefs/Owners would need to work off it off via the discounted meals. And then they would need more cash and get in deeper and deeper. I remember Roberto Donna was one of the examples of chefs who mismanged their relationships with Transmedia.

Not be snarky, but is that really surprising, given the difficulties he seems to have had with financial situations in general?