I thought the stories in The Guardian and NPR were old news since The NYTs published a compelling article several years ago that inspired me to stop buying quinoa. Chocolate & Zucchini's blogger was similarly affected. I would be interested in learning more, though. The documentarians report the positive effect quinoa's popularity is having on the Bolivian farmers and I don't think that was ever an issue. To say that other Bolivians are jumping on rice and other-grain bandwagons due to novelty and recent availability is almost like saying the lives of the fine people of Chartres and Florence are enriched now that they can supplement their diets with cheeseburgers from McDonald's and Kellog's corn flakes. Almost, mind you. I realize it's not perfect parallelism.

Do fair trade chocolate bars deprive the countrymen of African growers from the cocoa they depend on for inexpensive, wide-ranging nutritional value? Ditto on coffee.

I eat more quinoa these days, & I think adding it to chili is the best use (probably heresy to Texans & other chili purists, but I like rice w/ my chili, & quinoa is not a bad substitute). Now, if I could just get over the fact that it looks like ringworm...

• Like 3