IKEA Kitchen Cabinets

Pete

We are considering re-doing our kitchen with some IKEA kitchen cabinets. Does anybody have any experience with them, both good and bad? We would be going through the Potomac Mills location. Any recommendations for installers?

We are considering re-doing our kitchen with some IKEA kitchen cabinets. Does anybody have any experience with them, both good and bad? We would be going through the Potomac Mills location.  Any recommendations for installers?

I have a good friend the used them for their kitchen redo and were happy. The ones they got were completely disassembled and had to be totally built by installers so realize that in the cost of buying pre-made ones.

I used to work in the Kitchen Planning department of the Potomac Mills IKEA, so I've heard all the good and the bad. They're certainly the best cabinets you can get without going to a custom place. Understand that with the low cost there may be some pieces missing, late deliveries, etc., but that can be fixed and I still wouldn't hesitate to use them. They'll have a list of suggested installers, all of which are independent and uniformly excellent (I think Doug Brooks was the best of them). You can save a substantial amount of money by assembling the cabinets yourself before having them professionally installed.

We are considering re-doing our kitchen with some IKEA kitchen cabinets. Does anybody have any experience with them, both good and bad? We would be going through the Potomac Mills location. Any recommendations for installers?

:) We have Ikea cabinets in our pantry and love them! If you are handy at all and own a screwdriver you can assemble your own cabinets. The uppers install on a metal rail, once you install the rail, hanging the upper cabinets is a piece of cake. The cabinets come in 3 inch increments and the design department will help you with your order. The drawers are full extension which is great. Then all you need is to have someone do the countertops. Good Luck.

We are considering re-doing our kitchen with some IKEA kitchen cabinets. Does anybody have any experience with them, both good and bad? We would be going through the Potomac Mills location.  Any recommendations for installers?

Domino magazine recently had a spread on a few different people having redone their kitchens a la IKEA. The main gist being that they're decently constructed, easily customized, and best of all, leave lots of room in the budget for buying pricey appliances.

If you'd like a scan of that article, PM me. I subscribe and as I've just gotten the January/February issue, I don't believe the issue with the article is still available in the stores.

Edited by Principia

There was a thing in the August 2004 Consumer Reports about IKEA cabinets. Your local library should have copies that you can read. One of the points CR makes is that Ikea outperformed more expensive cabinets because they come with high quality drawer hardware and doors. CR also liked their mounting strip. The IKEA cabinets came in 4th in their ranking with #1 and #2 costing about 4 times more, and #3 costing twice as much (priced for a single basic cabinet).

I had Ikea cabinets in my last house. They were the cheapest ones Ikea makes and put in by the previous homeowner 11 years before we bought the house. When we sold our house after three years, the cabinets and drawers were still in great shape. I now have 40 year old cabinets in our current house but am looking forward to replacing them with Ikea cabinets when the time comes.

There was a thing in the August 2004 Consumer Reports about IKEA cabinets. Your local library should have copies that you can read. One of the points CR makes is that Ikea outperformed more expensive cabinets because they come with high quality drawer hardware and doors. CR also liked their mounting strip. The IKEA cabinets came in 4th in their ranking with #1 and #2 costing about 4 times more, and #3 costing twice as much (priced for a single basic cabinet).

I had Ikea cabinets in my last house. They were the cheapest ones Ikea makes and put in by the previous homeowner 11 years before we bought the house. When we sold our house after three years, the cabinets and drawers were still in great shape. I now have 40 year old cabinets in our current house but am looking forward to replacing them with Ikea cabinets when the time comes.

I love my Ikea cabinets and also recommend the tall pull-out pantry cabinet. The hardware used in the pantry cabinet and the drawers is top shelf stuff. If you can't assemble an Ikea cabinet then perhaps you need to purchase toilet tissue with detailed instructions (catch my drift). If I had to do another kitchen (my house has 2 kitchens already) I would use Ikea again.

I love my Ikea cabinets and also recommend the tall pull-out pantry cabinet. The hardware used in the pantry cabinet and the drawers is top shelf stuff. If you can't assemble an Ikea cabinet then perhaps you need to purchase toilet tissue with detailed instructions (catch my drift). If I had to do another kitchen (my house has 2 kitchens already) I would use Ikea again.

I have that tall pull-out pantry. I really like it now that I've installed it, but that particle board sucks, especially in a really big piece of furniture like that pantry. The damn thing weighed a ton. Getting it in place by myself was a huge pain.

Thanks to everybody for your advice. My wife and I have finished installing our cabinets and, if I do say, they look terrific (well, anything is better than our old 70's-style kitchen). The countertops will be installed this weekend and I am looking forward to cooking again.

I definitely recommend the IKEA cabinet system. About 95% of what we ordered was in-stock, so we were able to take it home the same day. There were a couple of pieces that were not in-stock that we were told would take 10 days to come in. 4 days later, they arrived! We were initially going to hire someone to do the install, however, our decision was made easier when our calls were not returned. The installation itself is fairly easy as long as you own an electric screwdriver and a level. However, some of those cabinets are darn heavy, as my wife's bloody foot proved after she dropped a cabinet on her foot. Also, be prepared to make several trips to IKEA to replace damaged/missing parts. Nonetheless, considering how inexensive the system is, I wouldn't hesitate to install them again.

Thanks to everybody for your advice. My wife and I have finished installing our cabinets and, if I do say, they look terrific (well, anything is better than our old 70's-style kitchen). The countertops will be installed this weekend and I am looking forward to cooking again.

I definitely recommend the IKEA cabinet system. About 95% of what we ordered was in-stock, so we were able to take it home the same day. There were a couple of pieces that were not in-stock that we were told would take 10 days to come in. 4 days later, they arrived! We were initially going to hire someone to do the install, however, our decision was made easier when our calls were not returned. The installation itself is fairly easy as long as you own an electric screwdriver and a level. However, some of those cabinets are darn heavy, as my wife's bloody foot proved after she dropped a cabinet on her foot. Also, be prepared to make several trips to IKEA to replace damaged/missing parts. Nonetheless, considering how inexensive the system is, I wouldn't hesitate to install them again.

I'm glad you were pleased with the IKEA, I was suprized about the damaged or missing parts. All my parts were there and nothing was damaged. I did have a few back-ordered items but customer service helped speed it up when I threatened to hold there CEO hostage. :lol: