Tet

qwertyy

I've been invited to a Tet party this weekend, and despite having Vietnamese family, I know nothing about the holiday, and I certainly don't know what to bring the hosts. I've been assured there will be enough food and drink to serve Vietnam itself, so I'm definitely not going to cook. What would be an appropriate gift? The fact that I live in the city and don't have a car limit my ability to make it to an Asian market to shop or to get ideas, so I appreciate any suggestions about what to give... or what to wear or what to expect. The hosts are the most chill, laid-back people ever, so no one's going to be offended, but they're wonderful, so I'd love to be as appropriate as a thoughtful lady of European extraction can be. Thank you!

No personal experience, but I got curious and searched briefly. Wear red, yellow or black. Playing games is traditional on Tet, so perhaps a cool, family-oriented board game; I would imagine only family give children red envelopes w money. Here is a guide developed for elementary-school students. And here's a party in New Jersey for inspiration (click links on bottom to see previous pages of same party).