Tröegs Brewing Company Troegenator Double Bock - Hershey, PA

PappyVanWise

This week's beer is from the Tröegs Brewing Company, and is the Troegenator Double Bock.  As the name implies, this beer is an American interpretation of the German Doppelbock.  I chose this beer for a number of reasons, but something that really struck me was the high score from the Beer Advocate guys compared to the medium score from the field.  Even with grade inflation, 94 vs 88 seems to be a big spread these days

From the Tröegs website, here's a little background on the brewery. Tröegs Brewery was founded in 1996 by brothers John and Chris Trogner. The first keg was sold to a local restaurant in Harrisburg on July 18, 1997.  The brothers are still an integral part of the day-to-day business of the brewery. John oversees the brewing side of the brewery, while Chris handles the business end. Both of them enjoy a shift beer in the Tasting Room more often than not.  As of October 2011, they have moved their entire operation to Hershey and all current production takes place at the Hershey facility. FAQ

And some puffery for the beer: "Troegenator Double Bock is a dark, strong lager.  It pours into a glass with a bronze to brown color, fluffy white head and bready malt aroma. The Troegenator leaves a rich, warming feeling and subtle spicy flavors. The style, Double Bock, dates back a century or so ago. During periods of fasting without solid foods, the Monastic brewers relied on the Double Bock; a stronger, richer beer to fulfill their basic nutritional needs. Known to them as "liquid bread," a Double Bock has a strong malt aroma and rich chewy body. In the spirited tradition of naming a Double Bock using the suffix "-ator," we give you Troegenator to provide warmth and nourishment all throughout the year."  Tröegs Info Page

And for those curious about any relations to Trogdor, there appears to be none...

Sold in six packs for about $10 and even available in Montgomery County.

• Like 2

If anyone claimed that East Coast American craft brews are all hop and no balance, then I think I'd give them a bottle of the Troegenator. It is a very good example of how a little malty sweetness can go a long way, in a good way. There's nothing exaggerated about this brew, but it is definitely a counterbalance to the Hopslams, Nugget Nectars, and DFH 60/90/120 Minutes of the world.

I only had one bottle, poured into a pint glass, but it was nice and smooth like caramel. There was also a bit of that clove/nutmeg/cinnamon flavor that you get from Autumn ales, but I could just be associating the sweet maltiness with pumpkin ales. I see other tasting notes mention fruit, but I didn't really detect anything significant. Curious to hear if anyone else got the plum, fig, or date flavors.

Definitely one I'd want to try fresh from the keg to see if the bottle mellowed it out some.

• Like 2

Somehow this did not do it for me, but it's probably more the style than the beer. I had Ayinger Celebrator a month or so ago, #1 on BA for the style, and I remember it tasting much like this. A lot of malt but what is really memorable for me is the boozy, dark fruit smell and taste that lingers, Not a big fan of boozy in a beer. Since I rarely eat plums, figs or dates, I'm not really sure what that dark fruit taste is with the boozy, but it's one or some combination of those (and maybe raisins as well), More of a dessert drink of something to accompany hefty meats.

Somehow this did not do it for me, but it's probably more the style than the beer. I had Ayinger Celebrator a month or so ago, #1 on BA for the style, and I remember it tasting much like this. A lot of malt but what is really memorable for me is the boozy, dark fruit smell and taste that lingers, Not a big fan of boozy in a beer. Since I rarely eat plums, figs or dates, I'm not really sure what that dark fruit taste is with the boozy, but it's one or some combination of those (and maybe raisins as well), More of a dessert drink of something to accompany hefty meats.

Agree with VikingJew and jrichstar on those big, caramel-y fig and date flavors in this beer. Has more hops than you'd get with German versions, and personally I think this is the best American dobblebock (not that there is all that many of them..). I like this beer quite a bit, though I'm rarely in the mood for it (as jrichstar mentioned it is more of a dessert/heavy meal/winter night beer).

I'm not sure how I feel about Celebrator, which I happened to have again recently. That beer has a weird, distinctive soy sauce note to me. I'm curious if anyone else gets that.

If anyone claimed that East Coast American craft brews are all hop and no balance, then I think I'd give them a bottle of the Troegenator. It is a very good example of how a little malty sweetness can go a long way, in a good way. There's nothing exaggerated about this brew, but it is definitely a counterbalance to the Hopslams, Nugget Nectars, and DFH 60/90/120 Minutes of the world.

I only had one bottle, poured into a pint glass, but it was nice and smooth like caramel. There was also a bit of that clove/nutmeg/cinnamon flavor that you get from Autumn ales, but I could just be associating the sweet maltiness with pumpkin ales. I see other tasting notes mention fruit, but I didn't really detect anything significant. Curious to hear if anyone else got the plum, fig, or date flavors.

Definitely one I'd want to try fresh from the keg to see if the bottle mellowed it out some.

I bought a six-pack because of this note, and I'm glad I did. I agree with everything you write, and I definitely get the date and fig flavors, a little bit in the nose, but mostly in the mid-palate (immediately, and briefly, after you swallow). Interestingly, I get these flavors more when I exhale than when I inhale (itry both and see for yourselves) - this makes intuitive sense because when you exhale, the aromas are passing through once again, as opposed to fresh air (should probably consider getting a life over here).

I bought this, the 3Beans (one bottle only), and the Rogue Kells at Total Wine in McLean (a note on the Rogue: they only had four 22-ounce bottles left, and I bought one of them - the distribution ends on March 31st, so get moving!) Total Wine's computer can tell you which stores have how-many of what beer, so it's worth calling and asking. The gentleman who helped me (a man of color, with a slight limp) was *amazing*, to the point of me wanting to tip him. If the manager of the McLean Total Wine is reading this, please thank him for me! Darn it, I didn't get his name, or I'd write the manager myself, right now.

---

ETA I actually *did* call the manager, and he was thrilled. He also referred me to telltotalwine.com which is their corporate feedback site - the manager told me it actually does go all the way up to top corporate management.