Alison at Blue Bell - Chef Alison Barshak's Modern American BYOB on Skippack Pike - Closed

Had dinner on Sat at Alison at Bluebell. Definitely add this one to the list of great Philly BYOBs (though it's in the northern suburb of Bluebell).

Things I had a taste of:

Chili dusted skate wing with a cornmeal and avocado tart
Best skate I've ever had and the tart (of sorts) was delicious.

Monkfish with chorizo, potatoes and greens
Interesting preparation, as the monkfish was pounded very thin, breaded and fried.

Fresh fig salad with goat cheese dressing

Mango tart tatin

Blueberry-corn polenta cake
This was really delicious. The 'cake' part of the ramekin had corn kernals and blueberry in it. It was topped with a creme brulee like layer containing more blueberries. I'm curious how they made this.

Great service too. Alison came out to chat with us after dinner, as our server told her we were up from DC, which I thought was nice.

Had dinner on Sat at Alison at Bluebell. Definitely add this one to the list of great Philly BYOBs (though it's in the northern suburb of Bluebell).

Alison at Blue Bell closed on October 22, 2009.

It had been long-listed for a James Beard Award. Although I'd never been, I had a pleasant meal a few years ago at Alison Two (her second restaurant) which closed on March 13, 2010.

"Alison Barshak Turns Up In Time Article About "˜Gods of Food'" by Victor Fiorillo on phillymag.com

I remember when Matt and I went to Alison Two (which was Barshak's second location of Alison at Blue Bell) - I thought she'd never leave the industry. She was long-listed for a James Beard Award, and seemed to have an open-ended future - it's amazing how quickly a personal situation can change things. :( She is so awesome for getting out of the business because she was taking care of her sick father.