Whatever Happened to Eat Washington, by Julia Watson?

dcomnivore

I used to follow a website called Eat Washington that was run by an amazing journalist named Julia Watson. She had the most comprehensive information on ethnic food shopping in the DC area. The site has dissapeared and I can't seem to find any information about it. I am hoping that this is just a brief hiaitus and that we'll be hearing from her again soon. If anyone can shed some light on the situation, I'd really appreciate it. She is truly a visionary and her voice is sorely missed.

Thanks,

Marianne

I used to follow a website called Eat Washington that was run by an amazing journalist named Julia Watson. She had the most comprehensive information on ethnic food shopping in the DC area. The site has dissapeared and I can't seem to find any information about it. I am hoping that this is just a brief hiaitus and that we'll be hearing from her again soon. If anyone can shed some light on the situation, I'd really appreciate it. She is truly a visionary and her voice is sorely missed.

Thanks,

Marianne

Come to think of it, I haven't seen Julia around in awhile either - I remember very well when she told me she was going to start her blog (I met her at a dinner with Gerry Dawes at Cafe Atlantico). That must have been 6-7 years ago, and her blog was terrific. I did a little bit of Google research, and she seems to have vanished without a trace - her domaine name is registered through 2016, so hopefully she's just taking a bit of time back in her homeland.

Julia's elderly mum, and her daughter and son and I think a grandchild, are in England, and she wanted to be closer to them among other reasons. I know that she was frustrated by the drying up of opportunities for professional food journalists here.

Julia's elderly mum, and her daughter and son and I think a grandchild, are in England, and she wanted to be closer to them among other reasons. I know that she was frustrated by the drying up of opportunities for professional food journalists here.

Something has to be originally wet before it dries up!

(Your new gig is the exception to the rule (not that you don't deserve it and more)).

[Leave here at your own peril - I know where you live.]

Julia had a big article scheduled to be in Gourmet Magazine. It was in the issue to come out next when the magazine folded. Big disappointment, needless to say. We used to go out shopping in the 'burbs together, and I introduced her to a couple of places she hadn't been to before. We had a lot of fun together. I miss her. She's probably working on www.eatScottishIsles.com.

Julia had a big article scheduled to be in Gourmet Magazine. It was in the issue to come out next when the magazine folded. Big disappointment, needless to say. We used to go out shopping in the 'burbs together, and I introduced her to a couple of places she hadn't been to before. We had a lot of fun together. I miss her. She's probably working on www.eatScottishIsles.com.

Did she post it on her blog? If not, I'm going to reach out to her and ask her to post it here.

I'm totally tickled pink suddenly to see eatWashington up there as a topic! I am still in DC, but on a fluctuating basis. My mother, who lives in the south of England, has developed dementia. Which means she's having a whale of a time flirting with every man of any age she sees, saying whatever she feels like regardless of consequence. She's as happy as a lamb. But I've had massively to step up my visits over to her from DC. She still lives at home but does stuff like giving away her pictures, jewelery, knick-knacks, to strangers who admire her garden, sending checks off to cover her Direct Debit payments. The utilities companies owe her so much credit she could buy several world cruises...

So I decided to put eatWashington on hold as I wasn't keeping up to date enough with openings and closings of markets, restaurants, chef moves, etc. But I'm such a computer idiot I thought all I needed to do was stop paying my server. Which I did, not realizing that this would mean the site would disappear into the ether. Which it has, all 1000+ articles, all listings, all information. Forever, as far as I know. Which is devastating, as all I wanted was to give myself a breather while sorting out my mom. If anyone knows how to retrieve it, let me know, at watson.julia@gmail.com.

---

[Can someone write Julia and tell her how to recover her site?]

Edited by DonRocks
  • Like 2

Hi Julia,

I'm so sorry to hear about your mother. And bless you for being there for her when she needs you. I hope you are still able to write about food wherever you are. I cannot tell you how sorely missed you are in the DC food scene. You were my go-to expert for sourcing every kind of cuisine around here. I am the furthest thing from a techie, but know a few geeks and will see what they have to say about recovering your site.

All the best,

Marianne Tshihamba

• Like 1

^Have to agree. Thanks to eatWashington, I discovered a lot of great ethnic food shops. Anytime I ran across a recipe in a new-to-me cuisine, I would just check EW and I'd learn exactly where to find the ingredients. When the site disappeared off the web, I was distraught. So sorry to hear of your mother's illness, Julia.

• Like 1

Hi Julia,

Got here through looking for eatwasthington.com after a mention in the acknowledgements at the back of a "Bruno" book.

Looks like this is an old thread, so I don't know if this is worth anything to you or anyone else or not, but you can get to an archive of your old website through the "Wayback machine".

https://web.archive.org/web/*/eatwashington.com

Looks like the last archive was January 17, 2012.

Hope that helps.

• Like 1