JPW

Dinner - The Polyphonic Food Blog

I don't like to post dinners ahead of time because things might change, but it's fairly certain that tonight is London broil (about to go into the oven), fried fingering potatoes (pre-boiled and ready to go into the saute pan), and dips (leftover Cava hummus, baba ganoush made earlier today) and dipping foods (whole wheat pita and carrots).

• Like 1

Last night we had leftover baked ziti and roasted carrot soup, plus toasted slices of Pugilese bread. I roasted the carrots in bacon fat left after baking a tray of bacon, drizzling some honey on partway through the process. Near the end, I mixed in leftover roasted and fried fingerling potatoes and roasted "baby" carrots. I pureed it all in the blender in batches with some homemade chicken broth and a couple tablespoons of miso. The potatoes gave a nice thickness and creaminess to the puree. I heated the puree up on the stove with additional chicken broth to make  a soup consistency. I had intended to add some ginger but liked the flavor the way it was, with just some salt and pepper added to adjust the s + p that went on the vegetables at the outset.

• Like 1

Tonight was Brussels sprout and lettuce salad with homemade ranch dressing (mmm, I am going to make this more often), with bacon, chicken, carrots, tomatoes and some homemade croutons I had made previously.  I should have taken a picture it was cute!  I have been lacking in my pictures lately, of even very pretty dishes.

• Like 2

More carrot soup and toast last night, plus baked chicken breasts, and whole wheat couscous with wilted baby spinach.

• Like 1

I had friends over tonight, so I did a mixed grill.  My condo acquired brand new propane grills that I was eager to try.  I marinated pork tenderloins Chinese style (hoisin, soy sauce,  ginger, garlic, sesame oil, maple syrup , chili garlic paste, 5 spice powder)  and chicken breasts barbecue style (Grilling spices,  commercial barbecue sauce, red wine, hot sauce, olive oil).  I also included hot Italian turkey sausages.

I sliced up all the grilled meat and put it on a platter, and served it with a big plate of roasted zucchini, bright red peppers, and onions.   I also made a slaw with a shallot, lemon and olive oil vinaigrette with a touch of anchovy paste.

There  were bakery chocolate chip cookies for dessert. 

• Like 2

Trelayne, your mise en place always looks so impressive! Even the times I fully measure and lay out everything before I start, it would never photograph so well, what with my random odds and ends of measuring/prep vessels. Your prep  just visually foreshadows a successful result.

I did not feel like cooking last night. At all. I pushed myself to make a salad from what I could scrounge up (iceberg lettuce, hard boiled eggs, chickpeas, feta, carrots, avocado) and topped with crushed tortilla chips and bottled ranch dressing. I quickly reheated flank steak from Friday and couscous and spinach from Sunday, and opened and heated an expired can of baked beans, doctored with with some bottled bbq sauce to punch up the flavor. The baked beans weren't really necessary, but they weren't going to get any less expired...

• Like 3

Last night was the last of the Aldi Gyro Kit.  I added roast peppers, onion and slow roasted tomatoes and chopped some leaf lettuce for crunch.

• Like 1

Thanks Pat.  :)

So it seems that the recipe I used called for boneless pork shoulder and the texture was off. Was good but it could be better...which means there will be roast pork part the second sometime soon.

Last week we had

DSC07241-001.JPG.4b94c26dbaf7b992b228becf0a075155.JPG

DSC07248-001.JPG.72d0c3de62b4c625993c435d835fa35b.JPG

DSC07260-002.JPG.cedc2998bd7f5e83f9d70a4493edf7bb.JPG

bucatini con le sarde

1/2 kg fennel, diced
salt, to taste
1 medium onion, diced
70 g raisins
35 g pine nuts
6 oil-packed anchovies, finely chopped
extra-virgin olive oil
freshly ground black pepper, to taste
3 threads saffron
1/2 kg fresh sardines, filleted 
cooked bucatini
35 g breadcrumbs toasted in olive oil (optional)
8 g sugar (optional)

• Like 4

Last night I made a riff on Russian Stroganoff.  I had part of a beef culotte that I had broken down and put in the instant pot, as it wasn't a cut suited for steak or stir fry.  I used the "broth" and shredded the meat and then put them in my big le crueset with a big can of crushed tomatoes, a little more beef stock, onion, celery and carrot.  Added some dry mustard and paprika, salt and pepper to the mix.  I then let it cook down a good bit.  I didn't add the butter and sour cream at the end though, as I didn't have it, and... lactose.  So it was not quite the same, but still very good.  We ate it with some carolina gold rice I also did in the instant pot.  Not quite as good as the longer Sean Brock method, but still I think carolina gold is just very good rice.  I used a 1:1.5 ratio on the water and added about 2T of butter and that seemed to work well.

I agree Pat, TrelayneNYC has some good looking prep.  My chopping and dicing is generally done very last minute and getting tossed straight from the cutting board into the pot.  TrelayneNYC, you are a prep bowl influencer, your photos alone definitely make me want them!

• Like 3

Last night was the rest of the previous night's salad; spicy cilantro chicken sausages (from Whole Foods) cooked with caramelized onion, red and green bell pepper, garlic, and some homemade chicken stock; plus roasted russet potato chunks with ramp butter from the freezer. It was good for a thrown together meal, but, wow, those sausages were hot.

• Like 2

Dumplings and jap chae. I finally figured out how to get unsticky oodles!!!  The previous night we made a bunch of pizzas (red sauce cheese, red sauce pepperoni, and white sauce mushroom) using Trader Joe's dough and ate them with a bunch of roasted cauliflower and sauteed zucchini.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, ktmoomau said:

I agree Pat, TrelayneNYC has some good looking prep.  My chopping and dicing is generally done very last minute and getting tossed straight from the cutting board into the pot.  TrelayneNYC, you are a prep bowl influencer, your photos alone definitely make me want them!

The prep bowls are like $1-$2 a piece from 

10620001_1030560986994651_8531247324423277087_o.jpg.ae8003d8eb9bd589a9e72fd70b6feb22.jpg

I don't remember where it's located. Some place in Outer Richmond.

You can get them at Bed, Bath & Beyond for much more, I imagine.

On 1/22/2019 at 9:05 AM, Pat said:

Trelayne, your mise en place always looks so impressive! Even the times I fully measure and lay out everything before I start, it would never photograph so well, what with my random odds and ends of measuring/prep vessels. Your prep  just visually foreshadows a successful result.

17 hours ago, ktmoomau said:

I absolutely third the above

Last night was pork tacos and rice pilaf. I used pine nuts with the rice instead of noodles. Tacos: corn tortillas, ground pork, ancho chili powder, smoked paprika. chopped tomatoes, avocado, cilantro, and sour cream mixed with lime juice for an improvised crema. I forgot the cheddar cheese I intended, but we didn't miss it.

• Like 1

Tonight was more pork tacos plus acorn squash halves with eggs baked in the center, from a Frank Ruta recipe that's been discussed here before.

• Like 2

Pork laab aalad (made with leftover taco meat)
Baked cod with homemade buttered breadcrumbs and lemon
Homefries
Sauteed baby spinach

• Like 1

Last night we had a friend over on somewhat short notice. While I put together dinner, we had bagged cheddar popcorn and a small cheese board with jarlsberg, manchego, Carr's rosemary crackers, and sliced pepperoni. Dinner was lasagna and pain de campagne with butter.

• Like 1

More pain de campagne last night (toasted) and this recipe for lamb meatballs in yogurt sauce. Meatballs were served over the last of the leftover rice pilaf with pine nuts. I was also going to make steamed cauliflower but flaked out.

• Like 1

I was taking care of my parents last week, and my mother wanted large lima beans.  She instructed me to buy dried beans and what is known in New Orleans as “pickle meat.”  It was a very, very salty piece of pork with a little bone in it.  I browned the meat and then added onions and garlic and bell pepper, and then added the beans and water.  As they started to get soft, I added some thyme and coriander. The end result was very salty, but extremely delicious.  Both parents ate a hearty portion, which did my heart good.

• Like 3

Last night was the last of my imitation stroganoff, served over buttered noodles.  With some baguette slices.

• Like 1

Tonight I roasted chicken thighs that I had tossed in jerk seasoning on top of quartered tiny Yukon Gold potatoes, sliced red peppers and sliced onions. 

• Like 2

Tuesday night was a salad (red leaf lettuce, radishes, cucumbers, and avocado); baguette slices and fromage fort; and beef stew with potatoes, carrots, and peas. I used jarlsberg and manchego to make the cheese spread.

Last night was more of the salad, plus homemade croutons; chicken and waffles; and pepper jack mac and cheese.  The waffles were the last of the cornmeal ones from a while back, which I had put in the freezer, and I used an extra skinless boneless chicken breast I had after making the Indian butter chicken, marinated in buttermilk and breaded with panko, to top one of the waffles. (I had an egg on mine instead). Served with sriracha and maple syrup. My husband went for the former, and I for the latter.